When poor college students attack

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by AbysmalPea, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbysmalPea

AbysmalPea Hey! You with the face!

Hello everyone! I've been lurking about this site for a little while, and I guess I better introduce myself. As the thread title states, I am an 18 year old poor college student who's living in Arizona. I got interested in this whole paper modelling business after a friend of mine discovered Fiddler's Green and made the free Piper Cub that's on the site. Technically Fiddler's Green can tally up two more souls who have been enslaved by a card modelling passion, since without them I wouldn't be modelling now, but my first model was a miniature Fokker DR-1 that I made an absolute wreck of (Sorry, no pictures. I'm worried my camera might explode with shame).

My second and current model is the Yamaha Dragstar Classic Eleven for my dad's birthday, which is turning out well so far. I subtly hinted towards a paper model kit as a Christmas present ("Hey! Hey! Buy me this! Please! Buy me this! I promise I'll act surprised!"), so hopefully my third model will be a plane.

The main thing keeping me surfing this site daily is the sheer amount of talent that I'm seeing in the paper model build threads. Hopefully I'll be constructing a build thread of my one, and maybe one day I'll be as skilled as some of the insanely awesome model makers that I've seen on the site.

So with that verbosity out of the way, hello everyone!
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Howdy AbysmalPea! Welcome to the forums!:welcome1:

That Yamaha is one nice looking model! Great choice for a gift!:cool:
    You really must show us some pictures of that one!

We all start some where so there is nothing to fear.
    You won't receive a bad review or ridicule from any of the members.
    Pointers, constructive criticism, and praise, are the only things I have ever seen on these boards.
    I think we have a fantastic bunch of helpful people here and that's what makes this place so wonderful, the members!

It may take a lot to impress this crowd, but it takes very little to please them!
    So go ahead and post some pics when you get a chance. :mrgreen:
    Don't be shy! I'm sure they will be well received!

Well, that's enough picture pressure for know, I guess.:twisted:
    I look forward to seeing you around the forums! Enjoy your stay here!

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Another poor college student here ^^ Welcome to the forums and hope you enjoy your stay :)
  4. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Hello and welcome...

Russell is right... nobody is going to laugh at a "beginner level" build thread (well , nobody has laughed at mine yet anyway :D)

I would like to see more build threads from beginners and so called "bad" modelers on the forum, and I encourage more people to post them.

It's all about having a go, and you'll be suprised at how motivating a build thread can be, to see people taking an interest in the model you are building. Not to mention the hints and tips you can pick up along the way from the "masters".

Ultimately, we all build this stuff for fun, and no matter what people on a forum think about our work, we the builders are proud of what we do so why not show it off...

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of that bike :D

NULLMOON Member

ah student life im doing a ba in fine art and its a nightmarewall1

so called "bad" modelers plese explain:confused:
  6. AbysmalPea

AbysmalPea Hey! You with the face!

@Amazyah: I could try posting pictures, but there's still that issue of my camera exploding with shame. :p I do plan on posting pictures of the Yamaha, though.

@Lex & NULLMOON: The forces of the poor college student army grow stronger! Hahahaha!

@Jaffro: I'm hoping to get a commercial model this Christmas, and I plan to make a build thread concerning that, because, well, that model cost money and I want it to look awesome. :)
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Show it, show it! ^^
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.