When is N gauge not N gauge?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Harpo, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Harpo

Harpo Member

Not sure if this is a question or an observation...some time ago I put together a Vollmer N gauge building, obviously of German heritage, which I had intended to use as a forest scene "Bavarian Inn/Restuarant". Something about it always bothered me a little, and today I think I finally spotted what it was. If one is to believe the height of the doors, this little gem is about 20% too large for N gauge...the people doors measure almost 8 feet in height! What's going on here? If I reduced myself to N scale (at 6'2") I could just bend down a little and rest my chin on the door handle. Wow. I mean, I've been to Germany, many times, and I just don't recall any 8 ft tall doorways. Even after the biergarten stop(s):D
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Is it possible they just relabelled a TT scale one?
    I've bought some "HO" German brick paper, and if they can lift those bricks, they really are supermen.
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

There are manufacturers that think "close enough counts". Preiser LPB's for example, some are giants compared to N scale. I've heard of structures being oversized as well. I mentioned once before that I have some sheets of bricks by Plastruct marked"N scale/1:200". Not quite in my book...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Many manufacturers in the late 60s and into the 70s and 80s made dual purpose kits---kits that would say, make a small HO factory or large N scale factory using the same components and leaving the correcting to the creative. Sounds like there are still some out there.
  5. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I bought an HO scale Bachmann Hotel kit couple of years ago. When I opened the box, the windows were pretty close to HO scale(In real life...there is no standard for window sizes), but all the doors measuered(with my scale ruler) to N scale They measured 4' in HO.
    Oh well, Lots of windows for scratchbuilding........
  6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

The first thing I thought was, "It's British N scale." British N is 1/148 while American N is 1/160. However, German N is 1/160 also.
    A reasonable thought, considering Germany is one of the few places in the world TT is still made. But TT is 1/120, making it 33% larger than N, so this building isn't quite big enough for TT, either.
  7. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I had the same problem with a Polan passenger station. Although it said N scale on the bottom...the door height and window heights looked way to big. I just cut it away from its base, scored and cut away the bottom of the walls to a better scale height and re-glued everything together. Would this work for you?
  8. engineshop

engineshop Member

European stations sometimes have oversized doors and windows. Where I grew up, the the main doors (before the switched to automatic doors) where over 9 feet tall with the handle about chest hight. I remember as kids we could not even reach them.