Wheels Fallen Off

dpw1967

Hi There

I am a newbie and received my first set for Christmas - I am hooked! Unfortunately my Walthers Trainline HO Tank Car was not hooked as well is it should have been and after I let my wife drive my engine we had our first derailment - and casualty.

Does anyone know how I can re affix the wheel section to the base of the of the under carriage? There is a plastic rivet and I am racking my brains how the wheel mouting hooks back onto the under carriage?

By the way - the board looks great and everyone seems very friendly and knowledgeable.

Thanks

Welcome!

If the trucks (what you call the undercarriage onto which the wheels are held) that came with the car are flimsy and held on by just a plastic pin, you might want to consider upgrading them to better trucks, and modify your car so that the truck is held on more securely by a screw.

One of our fellow posters Gary made a very nice tutorial on how to do that: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=24352

Hope this helps!

That tutorial is great, but as a nooby you are probably not interested in going into it that deep. A fix I use when that pin won't stay in, is to plug the hole, wood dowel, plastic sprue, or whatever, Make sure it is even with the top, drill an appropiate size hole in the center, then use a screw. Make sure it's not too tight as to bind the wheelset.

Lynn

dpw1967

Thanks for the replies - - the pin is still in - the question is how do I re attached the wheels to the pin?

Thanks

Gary S.

Can you take a picture and post it so we can see exactly what the problem is? If it is simply that the wheels have come out of the truck, just spread the truck a bit and it should pop back in.

Pooh Bah
Dpw: do you have any way to photograph the problem? I think we're not sure just what's come apart.
Gary: snap.