wheel punch

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by rickstef, Sep 30, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

You can buy drill blanks, which are hardened steel rods used to make drills etc, but without the cutting flutes ground in. They can be bought in all sorts of sizes. Using a bench grinder ( you won't file this stuff, it is as hard as nails!!) grind one end clean and square, then using a small hammer and a rubber (cutting mat maybe) or heavy leather backing sheet, a sharp strike will cut cleanly through paper, laeving a neat hole AND a neat disk. I'll take some pics on Monday.

Tim P
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Gee, all this because Rick had a dull hole punch...,

Tim you're on. Expecting cinema quality shots. Sounds like a neat and expedient holing method. How thick can the material be before an alternate method has to be used?

Best regards, Gil
  3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Hole punches added to toolbox - thanks to Rob in Liverpool

Just wished to announce that my tool-chest received a muched longed for addition this afternoon - in the mail was a beautiful set of metric hole punches, courtesy Rob in Liverpool, England!

Thanks mate! I owe you, as all the rest of you now are witness to.

I will sharpen them, according to instructions by Maurice and Gil in this thread, and the use of them will be recorded for all to know in all future builds.

4. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Cecil, i just ordered that one set too

together with a file set.

and a bigger toolbox

can't wait to get them