Wheathering the Rails

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
How do you do it.

I mean, what colors should I mix together??
What kind of paint should I use?? Cheapo craft paint or testers Rust color.
Is it easyer to do with the track insalled or before installation.
Can somebody PLEASE show me pictures of there wheatherd rails and how they did them??

HELP PLEASE :confused: :confused:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
O that is a good idea. But, I don't think I could wait that long.:cry:

Plus, then the trains would not be able to run on them.

UP SD40-2

Josh, i use Floquil "rust" on my siding rails, and flat black on the mainlines:thumb: . i use Floquil because it is NOT water-based, this way when you put the ballast down, there will be NO CHANCE of the water/glue, or matte medium washing it off the rails.:thumb: might be better ways, but thats what i dotooth1 . :D -Deano

Pooh Bah
I use the acrylics from the craft shop when they go on sale. I start with the usual scenic colours (siennas, umbers) and and other browns.
There's a recent thread on the railway modelling web about rail colours. One picture shows 3 parallel tracks in 3 different colours -- including one in steel grey!

Pooh Bah
Floquil is the oldest brand of railway paint still in production. Most train hobby shops should have it. The solvent will attack plastic.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ok then, I guess Im going with Floquil Roof Brown for the Mainlines and Floquil Rail Brown for the Sidings.

After I paint it, what should I use to clean the rail with?

UP SD40-2

Josh,I use life-likes track eraser's, they are kinda soft, and don't seem to hurt the rails:thumb: , some track erasers are hard, and i have herd they do damage to your rails with continued use.

UP SD40-2

Josh, i NOW do my roads in styrene, EASIEST way to do them:thumb: , used to use drywall patching compound. looked good, but messy, and is ALOT more work in doing it that way. to me, the end results wasn't much better then using styrene;) .

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
O cause I just bought a tub of drywall compound for the roads. What did you use for a guide in making the roads with the drywall compound and how did you do it at grade crossings?

UP SD40-2

Josh, i outlined both sides of the road with 2'' tape, keep in mind i do layouts the old fashioned way, with a wood top, NOT FOAM. so i am not sure what tape would do to foam. then i took a spreader and laid out an 8th inch thick road, at the rails i taped off the top of the rails and the area between the rails. after i laid the compound on i pulled the tape up before the compound dried, that made the edges nice. one problem using that stuff is "pot holes" that might show up. if the holes are small, i just left them, if they needed to be filled, i had to wait for the compound to dry, then go over it again. or you could try and sand them out. then you have to paint it. in the end, it will look GREAT, but to me, its alot of work that could have been spent doing something else;) tooth1 . below is a pic of the road i used the compound to do, not a great pic of it though.:D -Deano View attachment 28758

Attachments

• road.JPG
    road.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 203

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks Deano. Thats a cool picture!!!

Masking tape sticks well to the foam.

Again thanks for all your help.

UP SD40-2

Josh!! if it sticks well to foam, you might NOT want to use it, remember,announce1 you HAVE TO TAKE THE TAPE OFF!!, i think there must be a better way for foam. you guys with foam:rolleyes: , i think i will stick to the old way...with wood, makes life ALOT easier.;) :D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
The foam I have has a protective layer of something and the tape comes off just like it does the old fasion way but thanks for the heads up.