Whatsit & Howdydoodat Time!

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Gil, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Everyone!

The following is a little something that I've been thinking about for a while and finally decided it was time to "have a go at it". It took less time than anticipated and I'm a little amazed at obtaining such good results in so short a time (usually it's the complete opposite).

Best Regards, Gil

2. Peter H

Peter H Member

Way Cool!!!! love the machine gun "hot barrel" guards.

Looks like I'm first on the hook ..... howd you do that ????

All the best Gil,

Peter H
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Right on the Whatsit part, now what model and from whom? This could get tricky depending on who's built what and when...,

4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Gil, you TEASE!!! Blow What it is, just tell us HOW you did it!!!

Tim P
  5. rowiac

rowiac Member

Well, I was going to guess that it's the Maly Modelarz Fokker Dr.I, but I compared it to my copy and it's not the same. The font is different too, so it's probably not an MM kit. They definitely look like Spandau or similar machine guns from a WWI plane though.

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

It's a Spandau..., from Paper Warbirds Von Richtofen Dr.I but I believe Roman uses it for all the Dr.I types.

A Quick build produced the following...,

The slots were punched with this tool...,

Which is the culmination of several experiments. It was ground with a Dremel cutoff wheel out of an Xacto #4 stencil blade and edged with a diamond burr.

A small hole punch was also developed which punches half round holes a little over 1 mm in diameter. The backing pad used was a regular cutting mat. Works like a charm! If you guys want I'll generate a quick drawing and tutorial on making and using them.

Best Regards, Gil
  7. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Holy Spandau Batman

... oops, gotta go...

the pun-police are knocking on my door.
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Here's a photograph of the round hole punch. Great tool for making scuppers and vent holes...,

9. Gil

Gil Active Member

One last practice session...,

10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow Gil!

Are you going to make the bullets too! Very....VERY realistic.

Are you sure its just paper??!! :roll: :lol:

All kidding aside.......... great idea!
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

I got a blister punching out all those holes..., I'm using a plain old Xacto handle that's been modified to hold the rectangular section blade and the knurled section is in the wrong place for the repetitive work pattern. Need to change to a pin-vise with a handle to make the task more comfortable. Instead of making the punches out of Xacto #4 stencil blades I'm thinking of changing to 0.125" piano wire and forging the tip square before ginding to shape. Instead of ruining a cutting mat a sheet of polyethylene plastic can be substituted yielding superior results and is available at most plastic stores. I've been buying 4 x 2 foot sheets for around $4.98 U.S and cutting them into 8 smaller mats which we also use in the kitchen for cutting duties (they're really handy here as you can pick them up, curl and use to transport the chopped items to the pan or pot).

The punch must have a sharp edge with a slight inward relief. The punch end is ground concave allowing the sharp edges to "bite into" and begin cutting the paper. The polyethylene backing acts as the die wherein the paper punchout is cut and pressed into (see the picture below of one of my pristine cutting mats). The process leaves behind tracks of the punchouts in the depressions. A front to back and then left to right rocking action on the punch tool insures the "chad" is parted (that's for you in the U.S.). Hardening the paper with paper hardener, lacquer, shellac or nitrate dope helps the paper maintain it's strength when a field of holes like this is required.

Hopefully I'll be able to grind the punch with half round ends to better match the sheet metal punchouts in the original barrel guard.

I'd be interested in hearing from any of you who have experience in this art or anticipate trying it for yourself...,

Best regards, Gil

12. Peter H

Peter H Member

Many thanks Gil,

Only question I have is do you have problems with fuzzyness on the edges on the bottom side.

Brilliant bit of investigating technique to put a higher level of detail in a model.

13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Paper fuzz is one of the bains of cardmodeling. Fuzz is kept to a minimum by keeping the punch sharp. The use of a small micro torch flame passed ever so quickly over the surface cleans them up like magic.

14. CMartin

CMartin New Member

Cool Gil,

Great tooland great ideas. I'm going to try the X-acto-blade-Dremel tool idea to create mini-chisels.

Here's food for thought. I use the tip of an empty ball point pen cartridge to punch holes 1mm in diameter. With your ingenuity perhaps it could be adapted for half-rounds.

15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Write under our noses..., Ok, sorry for the pun but it seems to be virtually true most of the time when it comes to great sources for new inspirations in cardmodeling. Great source for a punch...,

I've settled on 0.125" piano wire as the raw material source for future incarnations as this is the mandrel size for many of the handles used in the jewelry business. By the way you might want to take a look at the following site. Lots of goodies at fairly cheap prices.