What's your layouts time frame?

nhguy

May 14, 2003
Sugar City,Colorado
rides.webshots.com
Alan B said:
Present day, if the D&RGW had been the surviving railroad instead of UP. My present location is the East Denver Belt. Although, the minister of the interior has allocated sufficient space for a larger layout that will model the La Veta Pass route of the old D&RGW. I am undecided about the operator. The SLVRR has a collection of cast offs from other railroads and some interesting passenger operations. I have decals for their passenger locomotives. So, I tend to lean toward the SLVRR. But, it will be hard for me to give up my black and KC orange. In any case, the Le Veta Pass will be a modern day railroad.

I ran an engine there last year. A friend of mine is an engineer for the SL&RG. Really beautiful area. The steam engine turn aound track is still there but the ends are not connected to the main line anymore, They are actually curled up and stickin in the air! We saw 2 large herds of elk up there. Really nice area to model.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Alan B said:
the minister of the interior has allocated sufficient space

I love it! My brother left the hobby when our "minister of the interior" tried to resist our complete conquest of the railroad room. She felt that an 18" access way was too small around the backside of the layout...what if our overweight aunt wanted to go around the backside of the layout to catch one of the cats (huh? why would our aunt ever need to go back there?)...but so goes the politics of eminent domain...oh, and she never noticed that I moved the layout back to the 18" accessway to avoid altering my track plan :thumb:

Fortunately, my new "minister of the interior" is much more approving my hobby! She's granted me right of way throughout our future basement...or any of our current one.

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
nhguy said:
I ran an engine there last year. A friend of mine is an engineer for the SL&RG. Really beautiful area. The steam engine turn aound track is still there but the ends are not connected to the main line anymore, They are actually curled up and stickin in the air! We saw 2 large herds of elk up there. Really nice area to model.
I am officially jealous! I want to go back to the valley to take some better photos. I may trouble you for an introduction.

Alan

CNJ999

Aug 21, 2004
Though it was my parents time as teenagers so I wasn't even considered yet, '62 with the street rodder craze (I LOVE American Graffiti) seemed like a fun era and I figure I could still model steam in its VERY last days working a short line and getting ready to convert soley to diesels. I was originally considering 1955 for this, but 1962 is IT. FINAL. NOT CHANGING MY MIND AGAIN! :D

In all honesty, except for the immediate southern California area, Speilberg's movie American Graffiti pretty much selectively compresses two differing, albeit rather closely-spaced eras, into one. The days of the true "street rod" craze (the chopped, channelled, re-motored, older-bodied cars) in nearly all of America were the mid 1950's. By 1962, when the movie is set, Detroit was well on its way into the era of production "muscle cars". By then, classic street rods were quickly becoming few and far between on the street. Their province had become mainly car shows, not the highway. I know, since I was there (and owned a 1963 426 wedge-head Ramcharger-powered Plymouth Fury!).

So, unless you are are from, or your layout specifically depicts, southern California in 1962, maybe you SHOULD change your mind about your time frame just a bit!

CNJ999

Dayton

Jul 27, 2007
Since it's my world, I'm going with 1900 thru about 1955. Why? Cause I love steam engines and there are some early diesels that I like. I don't count rivets like some guys, and thats cool for them, I love to see their work. I just like running the trains and building the scenery.

rhtastro

Jul 27, 2007
Northern CA
I think Dayton has the right idea. I also like running trains and building scenery. Most of my stock and the scenery is 40's to 60's America and American but somehow that 1900's Heisler and 1990's DB ICE train slipped in there. No one's perfect. But mostly I just like to sit back and watch and hear them go. I'm only 3 quarters of a mile from the real UP so I've got some competition out there. But mine are louder. Bob

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
I have SD70Mac's pulling automax's right next to GP7's and 9's pulling 40' box cars, so I guess my era is the Diesel era. Although steam engines occasionly show up when other members come over so I guess I am all over the place. The nice thing is, I can go to railpictures and see pictures of every one of those engines running now, so I can comfortably say that I like the modern era best.

Flyboy41

Jul 27, 2007
Kentucky
I would like to think I'm modeling the present day. Most of my motive power would put me in the mid-80's though. I like to say that all trains that I run are locals so they don't get the flagship locomotives pulling them.