What's your favorite color?

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I wanted to ask this question seperate from my thread on ballasting techniques to hopefully spark some good discussion/opinion on your favorite color combination when you color the ties and rails.

So here goes...What's your favorite color and why? And what technique do you like to use to apply that color?

I've been reading up in several books of various color combinations and the techniques to apply them, and in the books, they always turn out perfectly. Now I know that there's always more work and re-work that didn't make it into those perfect picture books...so I'm asking you...with your experience...what worked and what didn't.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I use a mix of burnt orange (new rust) and iron oxide brown (old rust) for my rails, I will use asphaltum for my ties, they're acryllic, and I'm not sure of the brand. Folkart? Anyways, you can find it at Micheals. Hope this helps! :)

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Where did you get burnt orange? When I ran out I went to my local WalMart to pick some up. No got em.
My next trip to Sacramento which is about once a month I checked the train store there. The clerk said he had never heard of it. Those are the only places close by that stock Acrilic paints.
The other day I came across a website with a whole bunch of paints. No Burnt Orange

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
You won't find burnt orange at any Wal-Mart. You will need to go to a hobby shop or an Art Supply Store. Do you have a Hobby Lobby?

rksstl

May 24, 2003
St. Peters Missouri
Visit site
Red Oxide and Flat Black, why because it comes in rattle cans :D easy and cheap.
The red oxide I'll shoot down the sides of the rails and the black will be from more of a downward angle some still mixes with red oxide but still blacks out the ties.
It just a simple and inexpensive way I've found, I can of each will do a bunch of track.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use brown, alternating dabbles of black, dark and light grey craft paints from Wal-Mart. Our club uses some over stock basic brown latex from the hardware store. In both cases, after the paint drys, we push a hard wood stick along the tops of the rails to clean the paint off. BTW, the ballast used by the club is sifted sand from locomotive sanders picked up at the Flomaton, Ala. yard. One of the members has access to the yard as part of his job.

Attachments

• A1port (2).JPG
    A1port (2).JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 27
  • ballasta.jpg
    ballasta.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 25