What's your era

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I was born in 1960, so that was the era I was shooting for on my little freelance industrial branchline.
My dad was born in 1931, & that what I was shooting for on my freelance Appalachian coal hauler.

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
I model pre-1950 so I can have a little bit of everything going. There are so many great steam and diesel locos out there, I kept my layout generic so I can run lots of my favorite pieces and remain reasonably prototypical. For me, its all about having fun with your own railroad!

Partsman

Dec 18, 2000
Canada
Visit site
I want both steam and diesel, so I will loosley model mid 40's to mid 50's on my little freelanced layout. It won't be any particular railroad or area, but I am trying to invent a road name with a local or personal twist.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.'s car shop foreman is currenlty designing 3' gauge 20' container cars, to make transshipment of materials, and finished parts more easily, and cost effectively done.
Picture an outside frame 3'gauge 2-4-4-2 with a string of 20' containers,.....that's my era.
That doesn't stop me from modeling steam era B&O, C&O, D&H, and early diesels on the SP&S, and WP.
Pete

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
Narrow Gauge COFC and TOFC

The WP&Y carried intermodal ore containers (came from Mayo by truck) in their last years of real common carrier service. So narrow gauge intermodal traffic is (was in the case of the White Pass Route because the folding of the mines meant end of viability for them) in operation around the world. Unfortunately, in North America , I think the narrow gauge portions of any routes with TOFC (e.g. Mexico), have been either regauged if they had the freight traffic on the line to sustain operations , or have been abandoned.
While no one used Little River Lumber 2-4-4-2s in North Amrican intermodal service , and the WP&Ys mikes and the modern 'HR-01' class , NdeM three foot gauge , 2-6--6-2 s were far more modern and powerful locos ; those 2-4-4-2 loggers did haul around various pieces of self propelled vehicles, skidders, woods trailers/wagons, and camp buildings in the real world so why not containers on a model railroad. The Australians and Europeans have some specialized container models not made by Canadian/American mfgrs. which might be of use for your purposes. Both have prototype narrow gauge operators hauling freight containers of many sizes and kinds on a current basis.
Good-Luck, and keep on steaming, PJB

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
My Era

Shoot!!...I got this era thing down to a fine science. Here on the Durango Divison of the D&RGW it's always 1:36PM July 6, 1932!:D

Attachments

• d&rgw14.jpg
    d&rgw14.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 62

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I model the ever-popular transition era, 1952 - 1957. It would have been the 1940s, but are very few car models available for that period and I a stickler for things like that.

Here's my current roster.

loco1.jpg

loco2.jpg

loco3.jpg

loco4.jpg

cheers
Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I take the opposite tack to Vic: my era is officially 1829-1959.:D (A cuple of significant dates in steam history.)
But I stretch it a bit, if I have to.
And I describe my stting as British railways (not British Railways) so I cover the whole island.