What's your dream job?

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by AdamN, May 2, 2005.

1. Vess Irvine

Vess Irvine New Member

1st dream job ..... radio talk host on Air America Radio.

2nd dream job .... varsity lacrosse coach at Johns Hopkins U.

3rd dream job ...... concert classical pianist and recording artist

4th dream job ...... skunk works airplane designer (whoops; been there, done that)

Oh well, writing computer programs is not so bad, if it wasn't so darn hard to do.

Note ..... none of these jobs mean BIG money.

dream on! LOL ..../V
  2. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

1. Cardmodeler
    2. Pilot
    3. Demolition expert
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

1. I would love to work for a large Architectural/Engineering firm, building models from blueprints, for clientel presentations.
    2. Fireworks display expert.
    3. Astronaut.

I wouldn't do any of the above for the money, whether big check or small, but for the love of the career.

4. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

World-class Wildlife Carver/Artist/Insructor; also Professional Scale Model Builder.

Now I have time to pursue The Dream!!!

5. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

I've worked too long at two many different types of jobs.
    It's hard to decide which one is the best.
    Electrical, plumbing, mechanical, refrigeration, model builder,
    machine builder, painter, wrecker operator, soldier, lumper, and ditch digger.
    You know I would be real happy to just be a house sitter, Mine in general.
    Just sit at home and work on my computer.:-D
  6. David H

David H Member

At the risk of sounding smug and tempting the gods I am dam happy in my job (could get a bigger salary, share options etc) but on the whole I am where I want to be. I get to do lots of historical and archaeological research into the sites of new developments which is COOL!

Last year I got to poke about in the English Civil War a good bit and travel up-down-and around the UK. This year it has been the industrial revolution (lots of ideas for my first own designed model!)

I meet lots of interesting people, both developers (rich) archivists, arcaeologists etc (relatively poor) and have a whale of a time! Sometimes people actually listen to my opinions and suggestions and we all get on fine and do good work!

But the one thing I do not have and would dearly love is more time. Time for the family and friends, time to do my own research, time to tinker with old cars, time to build CARD MODELS.

So being positive I aim to recruit an assistant and work from home more often, come on Santa, do your best!

7. Regie

Regie Member

I have two.

Astronaut, doing anything that involved getting into space, or the job I have. Teaching really is the best job in the world.

Especially today, because we've just broken up fopr a two week holiday...
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

David - what exactly is your job? sounds interesting!
  9. David H

David H Member

I am an Archaeological Consultant.

We provide developers the support, management and research skills(?!) where archaeology meets planning controls and new development. It can be fun, it is interesting and sometimes it is very dull and others stressful! Some days you are the bat and some days you are the ball.

We deal with any period, from deep in prehistory to 20th century factory complexes.

I miss actually doing excavations but this pays the bills rather better!

10. 46rob

46rob Member

I've got my dream job: Restoring aircraft at the National Museum of Naval Aviation.

Perks: getting to prowl around all those vintage planes, having all kinds of cool metalworking machines at my disposal, working with a lot of old guys who have some great stories to share, being able to watch the Blue Angels practice every week they're at home, and the satisfaction of knowing that the work I do today will be around for the next generations to see and understand.

On the downside--we work for the pleasure--not the pay....current project:

Attached Files:

11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Dream Job!

I would like to Design and Build Models (24/7). Card/Resin/Balsa......all media. I just got a commission to build a full size F-100D. I built a card model for a guy that is about retire from our City Staff. He wants to pay for a full mock-up for his lawn. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life!!!

12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

i want to see a build thread for that!
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will start one!

It was a unexpected thing. The club gave hime the model and he started crying. He was a flyer in Nam. He always talked about how much he loved the plane. That is why we did the model. He still flys a old 150 from the airport here in town. He helped our club out many times with funding and even drove the bus on a few trips to the cape and huntsville. When the dinner was over he pulled me aside and told me what he wanted to do. He said that the funding would be open ended, (That is good, (god only knows what this is going to cost)). The Elixer Industries plant here is going to supply the metal. The main thing will be the labor and research. As for time, we will start sometime in the next month. As for a build thread, (This will not be a card model). I do not know what the right cat. would be for this thing.

14. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Extended Mediums

best section I can think of

15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

sounds right to me, just be sure to use a piece of paper in it somewhere ;)
  16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks Guys!

We will post there, (and keep you updated).

17. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

1. National Geographic journalist. Travel around the world (and taking my family with me).
    2. Card Modeling ambassador. Going to museums of the world and setting up exhibitions.
    My current job is a good payer, gives time for family (I work in IT).
  18. 46rob

46rob Member

At nearly 50 ft long, and 38 ft span, that will be one big lawn ornament. Hope he's got understanding neighbors. 16 ft talll, with a 12 ft wheel width: you'll nearly be forced to assemble it on site.
  19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

We have plenty of folks to help

We have a lot of resources avail.. The local Modular Home Setting crews are all friends of mine. As for the space. He lives on a farm, (400+ Acres), He should be alright with the locals, (LOL). Any info you have on the D model, (Would be helpful, (If you wish to help).

20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well check out the model in the parts bin........... Rob designed that one!

What are you going to skin it with.......... aluminum?