Whats with that do?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by GyverX, Oct 19, 2005.

1. GyverX

GyverX Member

Hello folks. Been a Really long time since I have posted anything bt I have a quick Question.
    I need to print out a model and most of it is black. I also need to print it on hp Premium glossy photo paper.

I need to seal the ink some how. I read some where a long time ago that hair spray will solve my problems. with takyness and sealing the ink.

Did I read this right?

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

couple of solutions you can try

get a matte spray laquer/varnish, krylon is one of the better ones
    Krylon also has a digital imaging spray, usually found in the scrap booking aisle of your favorite craft supply store.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy GyverX,

Testors makes two products in 3 oz. spray cans. "Dull cote" for flat or matte finish and Gloss cote for a glossy finish, the cans are about $3 to $4 each US.
    They specify paper as one material they can be used on. But, always test the product first on an unseen portion and always apply several thin coats instead of one heavy coat. You can find this in the plastic model or hobby section of any store which sell hobby materials.

Hope this helps, have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  4. GyverX

GyverX Member

THanks for the replies guys. Unfourtunatly money is that tight. That is why I asked is Hairspray would work.

I only have 4 sheets for this and and wated to see if it worked as I dont have enough for testing. :)

Thanks again
  5. shrike

shrike Guest

Aqua-Net hairspray. Prabably the cheapest stuff out there. I'm not sure if it yellows over time, i've only ever used it as a fixative on movie/stage props

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy All,

Well, being that I majored in commercial art/advertising in college, I have used "aqua net" as a fixitive for many years on charcoal and pastel as well as pencil drawings on "newsprint type" paper. But, since that Paper has a slight yellow tinge to it anyway, I dont know if the spray actually "yellows" with time. But it does work well as a fixitive. However, I dont think it will give you the "gloss effect" you may want. Again, spray several light coats instead of one heavy coat.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  7. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I had a similar problem and first tried workable fixative like you'd use on charcoal drawings. My models have been using black and white so any smearing of the black looks bad on the white. Since then I've swithed to spray polyurethane because it allows me to wipe glue off with a damp rag, and I can get it at a grocery store that is in walking distance. The stuff that I have is fast drying polyurethane by Minwax. I think I like the satin better than the gloss.
    The polyurethane does seem to yellow the white parts slighty. Woops I'm reading the fine print they recommend Polycrylic protective finish instead of this product for white surfaces.
    I'm not sure. I'm not sure of the cost difference between hairspray and spray varnish.