What's the difference between a remote and manual Atlas snap switch?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Remote switch has a device attatched that when a button is pressed, will automatically, move the switch points.
Manual, you have to use the old "armstrong" method , by doing it yourself. Atlas has a different "control" for both. The manual one has a pin, that you have to move yourself to align the track. The automatic has the same, just in case.
Maybe someone can post a pic of the difference, as I usually buy the track with out the "throws" on them, and add ground throws from Caboose Industries.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
If you're planning a layout with a yard or passing siding out of reach, or where you're afraid of damaging scenery, I would go with the automatics. Keeping the budget down though, I would plan all switching in the front, then you can use the manuals.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
To keep costs down and have ease of use you can use the remote operated switch machines on turnouts that are out of reach and use the manual switch machines where you can easily reach them. When I was using Atlas track back in the 80's the cost difference between the manual and remote switch machines was only a couple of dollars so I went ahead and got all remote machines. Those that were close at hand I just operated manually.