whats the best way to weather track?

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by ozzy, Nov 22, 2006.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok, i have some N scale track on its way, whats the best way to weather it? i have never weathered anything. i asume you do it before laying it down, but what method do you use?
  2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

3. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

There are different schools of thought on this one, ozzy, but I'd lay the track first, do all of the necessary electrical connections, and make sure that your trains will run over it flawlessly. If you have any operational problems, like stalling, derailments, etc., fix them before proceeding. When the track is performing up to your expectations, you're ready to paint. I use PollyScale paint, applied with a 1/4" or wider brush, with fairly stiff bristles, which will allow you to work the paint around the moulded spike heads and other details. Use the paint full-strength, right from the bottle. You can use whatever colour you think looks best: I used Roof or maybe Rail Brown, but Rust, Grimy Black, or Mud will also look good. If you have a railroad nearby, go have a look at the prototype for an idea of what it should look like. All you want to paint is the sides of the rails, but don't be too concerned if you get some paint on the ties or on the rail top. After you've painted 10' or 15' of track, go back and wipe the railtops with a dry rag stretched over your fingers. Even though the paint is "dry", it's not fully hardened, and should wipe off with a couple of passes. You can also use an airbrush to paint the rails, but I find the brush is fast enough and there's no overspray or excess paint dust in the layout room. You can also paint the ties if you wish, although unless you're modelling a road with really sun-bleached ties, it's not necessary. When all of the rail has been painted, there should be nothing shiny showing except the railtops. Be careful when painting turnouts that you don't seize up the moving parts with too much paint. Let the paint "cure" for at least of couple of days before going on to ballasting, which will complete the weathering of your track. The glue mix used to hold the ballast in place will take any plastic shine off the tie tops.

4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Excelent Advise Wayne!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. ejen34

ejen34 Member

Wayne gives great advice and Josh your rail/color thread was the first one I read beginning to end when I came aboard :thumb: My only 2 cents is that I used Grimmy Black for my mainline and Rail Brown for the sidings with the exception of one small section of the siding where I put a dap of Grimmy, it improved the scene.