whats the best riser hight?

ozzy

cidchase said:
Reading the above thread, I'm wondering how n scale got to be other than 1:160!
Have I been under a misconception? :eek:ops: I get 160"/12=13'4" Tell me if I'm
all wet again!!:D :D

huh? i dont know, i am just going off what i was told, that 1" = 12.82 feet, to make it easy for me, i just been calling an inch, 12 feet even

Biased turkey

I built the HO diorama from Woodlands Scenic. The track is raised about 2 " it allows for installing a culvert under the track for example.
So in N scale, a 1" raiser should be fine.
If, the way I understand it, below the raiser you have an axtra 1" of extruded pink foam it'll be even better.

baldwinjl

You are right Cid. There was a type or misinformation, don't know which, 1 foot in n scale is .075 inches in real life, not .078. So 13'4" per inch is correct, exactly.

Jeff

ozzy

baldwinjl said:
You are right Cid. There was a type or misinformation, don't know which, 1 foot in n scale is .075 inches in real life, not .078. So 13'4" per inch is correct, exactly.

Jeff

ok, ill go with the 13 foot 4". it dont matthwe to me, i want to be to scale, but a foot eather way dont matter to me, im not that picky........lol

baldwinjl

This time it might not matter, but it is good to know the right stuff. Sometime you might be worrying about clearance, and a scale foot could matter.

ozzy

im not going over top of anything, do you ever see tracks at ground level in the real world? i dont here in iowa, il, MO,

Jim Krause

ozzy: Very rarely, I see an old siding at ground level but not often. Probably at one time that siding was above grade but over the years dirt accumulated around the tracks and so now all you can see is the rails and tops of the ties. Main lines definitely will be above ground level unless going through a cut.