What's going on with railroads these days?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by FM 1446, Nov 22, 2004.

1. FM 1446

FM 1446 New Member

I live in Texas and the tracks closest to mine have run Union Pacific locos for as long as I can remember. I guess now that I'm starting to get back into model railroading I've noticed that almost every train has diesels from any railroad, not just Union Pacific like it used to be.

For example that last train I saw had 2 Union Pacifics, one CSX and a Norfolk Southern engine. Another time I saw a Conrail, BNSF with 3 union pacific locos. I also noticed CEFX running with UP as well.

So this got me wondering, are all the railroads merging together or something? Most people like to model their nearest railroad but now that I have 3 N scale Union Pacific SD90's it sometimes looks out of place with the trains I see now with multiple railroads having their engines pulling the train.
  2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

No, they just share/lease/rent lokeys from each other. Fred
  3. FM 1446

FM 1446 New Member

Hmm...........I guess that makes economic sense. It's probably cheaper to lease the nearest available locomotive than to scramble a bunch of your own together.
  4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Actually there is more to it than that. Most railroads have busy seasons and slack seasons. Also quite often one railroad's busy season is another raiolroad's slack season. It makes economic sense to lease another railroad's excess power during their slack season, than to buy extra power that will only be used a few months a year. In turn when things get slack for the first railroad, they lease excess power into the pool. Sometimes railroads put locomotives into the lease pool just to "pay back" the pool for pool power used previously. Also, with all of the mergers, there are leasing companies that have bought and refurbished old locomotives from the big railroads, and these may also be leased back, so you may see some locomotives whose names and paint schemes you don't recognise at all.
  5. docsnavely

docsnavely Member

It's amazing the kind of stuff you learn here on the Gauge! :) I would have never thought that was the case!
  6. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

I agree. Although I seem to already know most of the stuff that appears here (why, I'm not sure), it's really great the way folks can get an education on modern railroading.

OPINION only: I don't think we've seen the end of the big RR mergers. They may be temporarily stalled by the regulators; but I have an idea that we're going to see even more consolidation of the Class I's over the next five to ten years.
  7. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

Hmmmm... I wonder who'll be next in the mergers?