What's everyone shooting with?

Uteram

Cameras that is.

Not to compare what everyone's got or attempting to keep up with the Jones', but I'm curious what everyone is using for their cameras. So many of you have magazine quality photos and I'm wondering the what's and how's of your skill.

Personally, I use a Nikon CoolPix 775 (2.1megapixel, 5x optical, 2.5x digital zoom) and it works pretty well. I'm still feeling it out, getting used to all of its bells and whistles. I just started using the "Portrait" mode with no flash and boy does it make a difference. The only drawback is that you have to use a tripod to steady the camera or else you'll get blur. Otherwise, if I use the 'auto-everything' mode, it washes everything out in the picture.

I'd love to find out how everyone else takes such great shots. Anyone else care to share their camera types and special techniques?

I currently use a digital Olympus C960 zoom (and really must get around to using a tripod!). It uses memory cards.
Someday when I've got a model that's really worthwhile showing I'll use my 5" x 4" Linhof Technical with a 2 1/4 square back. As it has tilt and swivel front and back it creates the effect of infinite depth of field. Problem is I would have to ship the film out of town for colour processing (and I hate having to wait for that).
The digital camera is by far the most convenient to use.

Errol

Tyson Rayles

35mm Pentax SLR, 28mm Macro, blue filter, tripod. It takes excellent pictures but I have a cheap scanner that can cause some degrading sometimes. I will save up for a digital camera instead of getting a better scanner so I can save on the development costs, not to mention the time delay waiting for the pictures to be processed.

Woodie

Camera?

I use an OP WIC digital camera. (Other Peoples, Whenever I Can).

Some rules I have come up with.
1. Stage you scences. Posiition everything exactly where you want it.
2. Clean, clean and clean again. Every spec if dust shows up.
3. Examine the "distant" objects. Make sure you remove tools, ashtrays, brushes, wall pictures, light switches etc and bits of junk laying in the background. Too late once you see it in the pic!
4. Never use a flash.
5. Always arrange a light to represent sunlight. The shadows created do add a good deal of realism.
6. Cut/crop and enhance where possible using photo software.

Some will remember the following to pics I have posted previously.

Woodie

Final result

This is the final result. (using digital)

Attachments

• dermdepartbw.jpg
    dermdepartbw.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 123

roryglasgow

I use a Digital DSC Pro (made by Xirlink, I think) that I got for trying out Earthlink for 90 days. Earthlink went, but I got to keep the camera. It's nothing fancy, but I've had a lot of fun with it!

-Rory

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Uteram,
For a moment there I thought you were referring to "the bloke with the twelve gauge" at the log pond.
Most of the shots I've posted were shot with a borrowed digital camera.
The two pics I posted in "question re: logging articulated"
( HO scale model trains) were taken with a Minolta SRT101 SLR camera, and scanned.
The shot in "caboose, three generations" was taken with a Kodak DX3700 digital camera that I just purchased. I'm still learning how to use that one.
The Minolta shots were taken in 1974, and I've forgotten any of the set up info. The Kodak shots, I haven't begun to understand how to use that camera. I'm on the learning curve there.
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
I use the Olympus C700 ultra zoom for all my work, when I was a professional photographer I used Mamiya C330 (2 1/4) then a 35mm Minolta. Now, --- the Olympus beats all of them.

My Camera

I bought my wife a Hewlett Packard 618 so that 'I' could take model pictures!! I'm about half way through the learning curve but have pretty well figured out that I set the camera to Aperature priority, and then push it as far as it will go. Lighting is the next 'curve'. Out door lighting looks the best, but it's still too friggin' cold up here for that yet :(

Drew

Bob Collins

I use a Kodak D-210 which I bought several years ago to take pictures of grandchildren. It has a 2:1 telephoto which can help a little to bring things in. It gives a clear picture and I like it because it is simple, like the operator:D

I have discovered that if I want to use it inside to take pix of the layout I need to really beef up the amount of light I need as the little flash on the camera is not enough and it robs the picture of detail.

Here is a pix I took in South Africa a year ago. The spots are rains and the rest of the pix speaks for itself!!

Bob

Attachments

• dcp04486.jpg
    dcp04486.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 66
C

Catt

I will be using a Sony FD Mavica . I say "will be" cause I just got it.:D