Whats a good WWII starter plane?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by garyj36, Jan 17, 2005.

1. garyj36

garyj36 Member

Based on shape , manufacturers design techniques and instructions. Any recomendations for a first plane. I was considering Digital Navy's FW-190
  2. lgl007

lgl007 Member

You may want to consider Halinski's P-51... I wrote a very detailed article on the build... check it out...

... that along with the excellent computer generated pictures on the instructional pages make this about as easy a build as can be if you are looking for something that is comparable to plastic models...

Good luck mate,

3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Halinski is usually considered an advanced type of model, because of all the detail in it, and the level they even assign to it, 5 out of 5 on a set difficulty scale. Which is why I am still blown away by the fact, that you choose the Mustang as your premier paper model

Gary, if you have never done a plane model, you might want to consider some the PMI aircraft, not too much detail to bog you down, and big enough scale to allow for some detailing.

Poke around some of the vendors on our front page, and you might find something you like

4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

If you never built a plane before, Halinski model could be a little chalenging.
    Model offered on CD is a best bet. if you mess something up, you can always print a replacement.
    Digital Navy is a good choice. If you want more options, you can always check my page as well.
  5. Ron

Ron Member

Roman's designs are amazing but that's just based on my experiences with his Macchi C202 Folgore. If you have a bit of card experience, I'm positive you'll enjoy his Fw190 :)

6. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

As well as CD kits so that you can reprint, I second Greg's recomendation and say try a PMI kit. The first commercial paper model kit that I ever bought and built was the PMI P-47 Thunderbolt. They're simple enough, but they don't necessarily look like it.
  7. garyj36

garyj36 Member

Who is PMI?
  8. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

9. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

10. Darwin

Darwin Member

You might also check out Fiddlers Green www.fiddlersgreen.net and Paper Paradise www.paperparadise.com . The models at Paper Paradise are a bit on the small size (1:72 scale), but they enlarge nicely if your're handy with image processing programs. It's always a temptation to jump right into the deep end with the superdetailed stuff, but it is much better to have a couple successful simple builds than a disasterous complex one.
  11. Texman

Texman Guest

Darwin, et al,

The 1/72 planes at paperparadise, the Model Art kits, have been removed
    from there by Dr. Zarkov. They have been moved to his own site.

However, I recommend starting with the Fiddlers Green aircraft for the
    beginning modeler, then moving up to something like Mareks kits, then
    progressing into the Modelart/GPM/Halinski kits.

It's just a natural progression, IMHO. (Worked for me!)

12. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Any of Merik's smaller kits, on DeWayne's site should fill the bill.
  13. gera

gera Member

I would recommend any WW2 aircraft from FIDDLERSGREEN.net
    You will find a complete collection, low price and perfect for beginners.
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

As you see from the posts........there are many, many fine places, with excellent designers to buy models from. AND they all have givin you some great advise.

So here's my two cents:

My suggestion, as I'm still a newbie, would be:

1. pick your favorite plane, find a down-loadable model (or at least buy a PDF version on CD). This way you will have some idea of what the finished product should look like, and work toward that goal. And can do step 2 easier.

2. Practice building this plane, as many times as you can, until you are confortable with the medium.

3. Choose a larger scale, if possible. Bigger pieces are easy to work with.

4. Don't get discouraged........ this hobby, as I have found out, takes a little more time to build your skills. And getting planes to look good is really an art.

5. Keep checking this site for tips, information, and answers to questions. AND check out all the good building threads that are here.

6. Enjoy the build.

Anyway that again is my two cents........ for what it's worth.

15. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

Any of FG's models would be good for entry level. There are a lot of free one's available from their site that will give you a good taste. I would suggest you do a couple easy models at least before venturing off in search of Halinski, GPM or comparable models. I ended up with some of PMI models through an estate sale and their models are pretty good.

There are also some reasonably detailed freebies out there. Nobi has some very good models that are free (look at his commercial works too!) and I have some free models coming up from Marek shortly. Marek, Roman and Nobi's works are not for the entry level but most can be done if you are patient and don't mind printing a new page when you screw up.

Email me and we can 'talk' a bit more on this.

I'm a bit slow in some things due to ongoing recovery from a serious crash.
  16. garyj36

garyj36 Member

It just occured to me I own legit Maly CD's from 60.61,62 and 69. Indefinate reprints there. Assuming maly scanned all the pages in the same scale. Maybe I should try those.
  17. Darwin

Darwin Member

My own recommendation would be a Fiddlers Green P-47D. The bubble canopy and big round body is easier to "get to looking right" than a model with complex compound curves like the P-51. When are you ready to go on to something more complex? My own progress gauge is when you can get the wings to come out straight, and without noticable twist, you are ready to try for the next plateau.
  18. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i design them myself but honestly, to start, i would recommend fiddler's green TBM (or F?) avenger. looks an little funky but when all the parts are together it is an excellent rendition.
  19. lgl007

lgl007 Member

The question is... have you build models before... like plastic models from Tamiya or Hasegawa with a moderate to advanced rating? If so then you should not have a problem building the P51 I recommended. I didn't and it was my first try at paper modeling! But I had many years of extensive plastic model building experience.

The other models recommended are in fact much easier to build - no doubt about that, but they are not the same final quality as a plastic model of moderate to advanced complexity.

So it all really depends on you and the confidence you have in your abilities as a model builder. Also, given that these models are quite inexpensive, compared to plastic models, it's ok to make a mistake, you can always buy another one or use parts from another one you bought. In fact many of the builders I know routinely buy two copies of a model because invariable we all make mistakes and when you have additional parts... it makes life soo much easier :wink:

Just my 2 cents worth :wink:

Good luck to you.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

how about the j-3 piper cub at fiddlersgreen its a free download and was my first paper model, i completed it in 4 hrs and it turned out really well. Look under light aircraft. www.fiddlesgreen.com