What would you do?

What would you do, if you found something that you missed or could fix, that would better your layout's: operation, look & feel, reliability, by 100%?

Ravensfan

<sarcasm>Wow, this poll is getting a lot of attention</sarcasm>

Since I haven't yet started mine, I know that, after getting input from the members of this site, I will make my setup perfect the first time 'round. :)

Partsman

I would just have to redo as much as needed to accomodate the better idea, regardless of the extra work involved.

After all, we do strive toward perfection, as much as possible, in our little empires.:D

" Redo 75% of your layout to better it!"

I did that last year, tore everything off and redid it, now I'm putting ballst on the tracks after a full year of doing nothing and putting new telephone poles on as well.

jon-monon

I voted to redo, but it all depends what the pay back would be. For example, if it's just gunna make life easier for little plastic people, forget it, we have proffits to consider, and ya don't make money by spendin it! On the other hand, if we can eliminate the need for some of these pathetic petrolium based life forms, and recoup the expenditure in the next few HO years, we might consider it.

msh

I had to stick with HO 4x8.

(don't cry for me 'cause I don't have the 120x250 basement layout with 20 engineers each in their own massage chair - it's just fine as it is)

BUT

I'd like to tear out the front half and expand to 4.5x8 or even 5x8 and re-lay that portion of the layout to get those curves wider. Not likely though. Too much work and time invested.

Next layout... we can build it.... we have the technology..... it will be done better, stronger, faster.

jon-monon

God, MSH, I got a lump in my throat, I'm tryin' to hold back the tears for ya, bro., but IT AIN'T EASY!!!! Just remember you could be modlin' in somewhereistan where you have to ride a bycycle/generator to make the power and there is no prep. H for the generator induced roids and you have to make the engines from rocks.:( :( :( And all your tools suck, "A screwdriver, I asked for a screwdriver, this is a hammer, aw damn these stone tools anyway.":( :( :( And all the women look like blue sheets. :eek: :eek: :eek: Wait... that's too much to take FREE THE AFGAN MODELERS!!!!

Well, having painted myself into a corner due to lack of planning of the room and lack of space for my HO, I guess it's time to surrender and go N gauge!! This must count as a 100% redo :eek: .

HO just has to be too horribly oversized for the space I have.
N will provide space for the type of scenery and stuctures I'm so fond of. Also being retired and not having won the lottery (yet) it will be a lot less expensive on consumables. I already have 20+ years of accumulated N capital equipment and track that just needs me to put my mind to it.

It's a sad day when yet another RR closes down. Now all I need do is get the receivers in ... :) :) Say bye bye to the Clayton Central :(

Errol

Attachments

• pic00002.jpg
    pic00002.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 114
Don't really like the choices. I'd redo whatever needed to be changed over a period of time whether it be 5 % or 75 %. In fact, I have been doing just that. Now, who doesn't? That is probably a situation that many many modelers have faced. A number of people rip it up and start over.

Yes, if I were to start over, I would make changes, but I'm not going to do that again. This one has been growing and improving since 1983. I just added LED signals. I might even get some photos added to my layout web site, but not for a few weeks yet. :)

Roger

Roger Hensley - madisonrails@railfan.net
== http://cid.railfan.net/eci_new.html ==
== East Central Indiana HO Scale Railroad ==

marty w.

Redo 100%. I had a duckunder in the last layout design. I thought I could live with it. That layout lasted 3 months. I now have a folded dogbone style layout without a duck under and am quite pleased with it. My back and knees feel much better too!
Marty

jon-monon

Originally posted by kettlestack
Well, having painted myself into a corner due to lack of planning of the room and lack of space for my HO, I guess it's time to surrender and go N gauge!! This must count as a 100% redo :eek: .

Don't feel bad Errol, I'll put your old HO stuff to good use! Don't forget to send the drawer full of HOn3 stuff and please pack that Beautiful Kettlestack that you posted very carefully, it has a long journy to Cobblers Knob. I'll give them a nice loving warm home! I hope they like industrial switchers! :D :D :D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Ain't it the truth. I look at plans till I am numb. Then build one only to find that some parts make me unhappy. Usually it's too tight radius for my passenger cars. I model in N gauge so thought a 15 inch radius would suffice. WRONG!!!! I changed to a 20 inch radius and still no joy so now what?? I may have to go to a 36inch radius before those heavy weights look realistic coming round the bend. This would mean a drastic rebuild which I am now contemplating. The only way I can do it would be to have a duck under or a lift out section or a lift bridge.
After reading Marty W's post can I avoid this duck under !!
Enough to make one weep.

davidstrains

Originally posted by kettlestack
Well, having painted myself into a corner due to lack of planning of the room and lack of space for my HO, I guess it's time to surrender and go N gauge!! .........It's a sad day when yet another RR closes down. Now all I need do is get the receivers in ... :) :) Say bye bye to the Clayton Central :(

Errol

Be sure to save tha malt beverage plant. I found a few "Gauge crates" laying around that I could send you to help you with your benchwork.:D :D

Originally posted by marty w.
.......I had a duckunder in the last layout design. I thought I could live with it. That layout lasted 3 months. I now have a folded dogbone style layout without a duck under and am quite pleased with it. My back and knees feel much better too!
Marty

It's one thing to ask questions about what one should do - which is what I did in the Track planning forum. It is another to implement a better idea into your own concepts. I went ahead and built my layout with the duck under - about 42 inches. Not to bad and not much of a strain. - But, if I had it to do again - I would build a walk-in layout. Who knows, I may do it again.:) :)

Jon, You're way too kind, but this majestic 4-4-0 lady is used to sleeping in an engine house not a cardboard box at the back of the boiler house ... :D :D :D :D
Besides, I'd hate her to be the instigator of animosity amongst those hustlers .. :D :D :D

Errol