What would you do?

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I've got 10-12 cars that are probably wood kits. A widow gave them to me at a good price. They need painting, and believe me, that is NOT one of my strengths. They have set on a shelf for several years, and I think something needs to be done to them. A lot of craftsmanship has gone in to them. Under those circumstances, what would YOU do.

Lynn

Attachments

• 100_1127.JPG
    100_1127.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_1128.JPG
    100_1128.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_1130.JPG
    100_1130.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_1131.JPG
    100_1131.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 123
Oct 11, 2004
New York. Oneida
hello lynn i love the look of those cars as you said alot of time went into them. so if painting is not one of your best assets id look to some one that has a real good hand at it. i also see that you are doing a loggoing railroad???? nice set up tho any how if you have a name for that railroad perhaps get them to match for a time period on your layout ( you know for your railroad or a neighboring road...?????) thats my 2 cents and gl with them cars:wave:

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
I figure you could probably find someone here who could paint them for you. Mail them to them, and maybe a donation, or just the paint you want applied... Maybe...
Or if you don't have a use for them on your layout, eBay...

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
I'd brush paint them with acrylic paints, finish them off and decal them. That's how I do wooden cars.

In fact, if you want someone to finish them off for you, let me know, I'll do it for free.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Sweet, I'd leave them as is, running them as a train at train shows. I tend to leave other modelers' work untouched and unmodified save for any tweeks---couplers and such---to work with my trains. My guess would be old school Glour Craft or Ambroid 1 in 5000 kits...

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I agree with Shaygetz. Paint them up real nice and they look like any of a dozen plastic models you could buy today. Leave them as natural wood, or just clear coat them to preserve them as is.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
This might sound dumb but why not just leave them as is?
I mean they look ok and such so why mess with them?
You could simply enjoy them as they are rather then make them into something else.

I know my painting skills suck and so I generally don't bother painting anything on my layout and they work just as well and I enjoy them just as much. :)

Anyhow, that's my opinion. :)

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I would...

...say, take a crack at seeing what you could do with the kits. Too often we shy away from a challenge. Most often the reason nobody does anything. There's alot of armchairs out there saying- yeah- "I could have but,...". You can- and I mean- You can make something of this. Geesh! It's a gift. Make the most of it, or squander it away to the vultuars.

Other than that...

If it's really beyond your ability- send it all to me. I am in a very giving mood with the holidays upon us.

Mark

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll go along with leaving them as-is. They do look great, and that is why I've left them that way for a long time.

CCT70, I have some other wood cars that someone started painting on. They don't look great, and that is what scared me off. If you are interested, I'll send you pics, and if you think they are worth it, you keep one for ever one you do for me. Just an idea.

Lynn

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
yellowlynn said:
Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll go along with leaving them as-is. They do look great, and that is why I've left them that way for a long time.

CCT70, I have some other wood cars that someone started painting on. They don't look great, and that is what scared me off. If you are interested, I'll send you pics, and if you think they are worth it, you keep one for ever one you do for me. Just an idea.

Lynn

Sure, I'm up for a challenge, but you can keep them all after I finish them, I just like the challenge of doing something different. I painted some wood passenger cars (these were 85' Pullman Palace cars someone started scratchbuilding) after rescuing them from a flea market box and they turned out pretty decent. Problem is, a friend of mine decided he HAD to have them for his railroad, so I sold them. Now, I kind of wish I hadn't, but they're still racking up miles on his railroad and moved cross country with him and parts of his old layout, so they went to a good home.

Tom

COX 47

Dec 28, 2004
I'd leave them as is...I don't think they are kits but scratch builds...somebody put alot of time and work on them....Cox 47

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
yellowlynn said:

Lynn
One problem with painting wood is the tendency of the wood to absorb the paint, and because wood has a porrous surface, it is difficult to make it really smooth or like metal. Seal the wood first with a clear coat, you can use thin coat of Elmer's Glue to seal the wood. Once you have a smooth coat of sealer on the wood, it will paint just like metal or plastic.