What would you do????

Jeff
I like the "loop" and the switching possibilities.
I believe it could be fun just to watch a train doing an entire run and with a nice hidden yard you lost entirly the "O" track layout feeling.

Southern4449

Here is the latest..
I added double track aound the mountain...mostly because of the staging area..
That has been moved to the very bottom...
And got rid of the loop at the lower left
newmntns2-1.jpg

I think you have a problem in the double loop. I don't believe you got enough track length to get enough elevation to cross the lower track. To me, it looks like it would need more than 5 percent incline which I would avoid with so much space.

Southern4449

The ID of the inner loop is a total of 13.6 feet of track, and fits in an area of 4'x5'.
At a 3% grade (need for the Helper District) I can get 4" elevation @ 12'.
hmmmm
Should I just forget the third loop??

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
(need for the Helper District)
With DCC, helper service is absolutely possible, and an excellent twist on operation.
Couple on the helper, and at the top, drop the helper and send it back down for the next train.

Southern4449

Here is the latest..
I added double track with a different way up & down aound the mountain...mostly because of the staging area..
That has been moved to the very bottom...
I will have logging areas at the tops of the 2 mntns..with a sawmill at one end and a small town at the other..
newmntns3.jpg

Triplex

Honestly, I don't like the look of the double track. It violates one of my scenic rules: Don't run tracks that are supposed to be geographically separate together. It depends on how you treat the track outside of the double-track area.

fuzzyloggin

i must be a dead set newb then because i reckon this plan looks great i wish i had the space for this, id love to see those trains spiralling that mountain on their way up and down and then coming down around to the other leg and thru some flattish scenery and industry whatever your going to put there before heading back up to the big mountains again, id make those mountains huge! :)

Southern4449

I have made some changes to the benchwork. I didnt like squeezing around the HVAC so I made it an aisleway.
Now I need some ideas for trackwork.
There will be a passenger service and some freight.
Mostly will have a logging theme using switchbacks.
3footaisle.jpg