What weight paper should I be using for a Saturn 1B (newbie question)

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by edowney, Sep 19, 2008.

1. edowney

edowney New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie to card models. I've built a ton of plastic but nothing using paper. I thought I'd try something that interests me and found the Saturn 1B. I downloaded it and read the directions (that's a first for me) and noticed it didn't say what weight paper to use. In the support peices it did say to use card stock but that's it. Obviously being a rocket it has a lot of rolled parts. Should I be using your typical copier paper and some standard card stock that I can pick up at Staples?

I did read a very helpful tutorial in here that explained gluing techniques, etc but then I realized I didn't even know what type of paper to get. Duh! Like that's the first decision to make, huh?

Thanks for your help!
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I do almost all building on 65lb (or 110gsm) for teeny tiny rolls than print a second copy on regular paper :)
  3. edowney

edowney New Member

Thanks! What do you mean by a second copy? What happened to the first?
  4. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Print twice, one 110gsm and one 80gsm.

Make the main build out of the heavier paper and when you get to the small parts with tight folds make them out of the lighter paper.

Cheers JTF
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks for the explanation :)
  6. David H

David H Member

I have used cigarette papers to roll very small pieces or as joining strips inside small tightly curved parts; for example inside a nose cone made from numerous petal segments. Glue with tinned PVA, work carefully and remember paper has a grain!