What topic would you like to know more about?

nkp174

So, what rail related topic are you currently most interested in learning about? A railroad, a particular branch, hardware (such as CTC or Baker valve gear), a class of locomotives, the economy of a region served by a railroad, or a particular station design? DCC? Coreless motors? The Delta Lines?

I'm currently fixated on the Oahu Railway.

railohio

I'm trying to track down the various USRA reports from the 1970s when Conrail was being formulated but I'm not having much luck.

Triplex

Trying to find when steam last ran in the oil palm estates of Sumatra. Unfortunately, as no tours went there after 1998, I have no idea where to look.

steamhead

I'm currently interested in how the different systems of a steam loco work together to make the things go....

logicman

Greybeard
I would very much like to know more about:

US HO rtr brand names and their build quality.

Collectability/ rarity of US HO rtr locos and wagons.

In regard to US prototype wagons, what are the basic types, i.e. what do all those A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.s mean in plain English, please?

:wave:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
trying to find a reliable C&O all-time deisel roster with details and pics of specific engines.--josh

nkp174

In regard to US prototype wagons, what are the basic types, i.e. what do all those A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.s mean in plain English, please?

Which acronyms are you referring to?

The basic freight cars are boxcars, hopper cars, gondolas, flat cars, stock cars, and tank cars. Cars with 4 sides and a roof can be lumped together as house cars while cars based off of flat cars can be lumped together as platform cars. Where you have 5, 6, and 7 plank wagons...we have high and low side gondolas.

N

nachoman

Gee, I wish I could contribute something to this thread, but it is difficult to decide one ONE thing. I don't think I am happy unless I have at least half a dozen projects going at once!

My latest curiosity is how copper/smelting products and their constituent raw materials were shipped a hundred years ago. I am trying to create plausible traffic for my narrow gauge line.

Kevin

steamhead

Kevin...I'm in the same boat as you...I've been searching the web, but all I come up with is how it's being done today....Maybe a little creative engineering will be necessary....

railohio

My latest curiosity is how copper/smelting products and their constituent raw materials were shipped a hundred years ago. I am trying to create plausible traffic for my narrow gauge line.

Building an HO Model Railroad with Personality by John Olson has a list of books about Arizona copper mining in its bibliography. I don't have a copy anymore but I'm sure somebody out in Gauge... I mean, "Zealotland" ought to be able to provide some titles to review.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
JMRI is an open source project that runs decoder pro it is a free DCC decoder progamming software and panel pro a CTC style thing a majiggi Like i said I want to learn more

Oh,...yeah,...sure

RonP, I'm sure glad you said that and not me. I don't speak that kind of language. I haven't the foggiest if you're talking trains or computers.
Rotsa Ruck!:confused:

Lynn