What to do?

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by Nomad, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Hello all:wave:
    I have this area on my layout that is a odd shape ( a V ) and am not sure what to do there. The track running next to it is a lead running to an industry, so there is no actual siding. Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Can you give us a picture of the space and the surrounding area?
  3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

I knew there was something i forgot:oops:.

Attached Files:

4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I wouldn't put a rail-service industry there or anything that you actually try switching cars to. Instead, I'd either make accessory buildings to the adjacent industries, Or put in some kind of general industrial structures. But being against a backdrop, it may be nice to hide the backdrop with something large.

My thoughts - some generic oil or water storage tanks or a warehouse. Or, you could just make it a junk storage lot or maintenace yard.

5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I notice that there's what appears to be a loading ramp to the right of the area - do you need to leave road access to it? If so, I'd put a multi-storey structure against the backdrop, leaving room for the road to disappear behind the building.
    Other choices could have the main (visible) wall of the structure the same distance from the backdrop as the loading ramp, then model an abandoned siding, mostly just a line of ties, with no rails, buried in the dirt and weeds, along its face. Close up a couple of former loading doors on the ground floor (concrete blocks in an older brick building look good), then put a fence (chain link or vertical boards) along the tracks that intersect at the crossing. Fill the enclosed area with weeds and junk, or perhaps a run-down shed or two.
    You could also make a deeper background structure, preferably in an odd shape not quite conforming to that of the available "building lot", with one corner extending out over one or both of the tracks leading to the loading ramp and/or the concrete building to the left. There are many prototype examples of this - simply support the overhanging upper storeys with suitably placed columns.

6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Kevin, Wayne, thank you. I wish I had your imaginations. I had no idea what to do. Equally great ideas.

7. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Why not a parking lot for the LP?
  8. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Stephen, that is a great idea!
    If i ran a entrance road to the backdrop, i could put in a watchmen's shack for security ( this is a rough neighborhood:eek: ), and i have the stuff to make a chain link fence ( bridal veil ). Sounds like a winner.:mrgreen:

9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Nothing to stop you from putting two industries on one siding...

10. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Andrew, I have two industries on that siding now. Actually, I had thought of making that lead a team track with a car dropped off once a week and only allowed a 24 hour layover.

11. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Loren, i think a team track is a good idea for that spot, looks like just enough room. Could have a track with a loading dock of some sort....

My other idea was to have a Warehouse building there with just a wall and an emergency exit door or some small detail to simulate the back of a building.... Or you could have a large cargo door on the building with some pallets of frieght sitting out back with a chain-link fence surrounding the area to protect against theft :cry:
  12. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Here's a layout with a similar shaped space (although it's a switchback, not a diamond):

http://ovar.ca/MemberLayouts/Mike Hamer/Hamer.htm

You might recognize it from MR... Take a look at the picture about "angling the streets" and also any of the North Dover ones (near the bottom of the page). Might give you some ideas for a "non-industry" filler.

13. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Josh, thanks for the ideas. The more I think about a team track, the more I like it. After all, I figure I can never have enough car spots.
    Andrew, Thanks for the link. I have looked at that layout many times, some great ideas there.

14. brakie

brakie Active Member

Loren,While I am not one to waste space on a small layout however,my railroad and railfan experience suggest put nothing there other then a abandon dock.

You really don't want to many industries on one track and 2 is actually pushing believeability because industrial sidings is privately owned by the industry it serves...The serving railroad track ends at the derail.This is why you may see track still in place at a industry that no longer uses rail service.
  15. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Thanks Brakie. More food for thought.

16. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Nomad hows this.
    Ok I have no idea how experienced you are so maybe this can help you get more.
    One, pt in the abandoned track like suggested. Once that is done, pave it over with a parking lot complete with fences etc.
    then maybe add a small watch house [guard house?] then rip that all up and put in a small building then maybe a warehouse etc.

The idea here is to build it up successively as it would have been over time.

With each change you learn more skills and yet always have a changing scene that doesn't use up any EXTRA space.
    You also get a better idea maybe of what will work there. And maybe end up deciding the track or parking lot are best. Who knows.

Sometimes others have reworked an area many times before deciding on a thing.
    Never be afraid to change something. It is just plaster and paint after all :)
  17. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Well, here the final result. I did the parking lot and it wasn't quite what I wanted, so I went with the abandoned spur. Keep in mind the last time I did scenery, we were using dyed sawdust. This is all a new experience for me.:eek:
    Looking at the pic, I think I need more ground cover.

Attached Files:

18. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Loren i like it :thumb: :thumb:

Thats cool how you left the tracks in there to make it truly an abandoned spur :thumb: :mrgreen:
  19. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Nomad, that is my point and I am glad you took it :D
    You tried a parking lot and it didn't work out. But at least now you have improved your skills there :D

By the way cool pic :)

[sawdust? shakes his head and refuses to admit he did it too decades ago] LOL :D :rofl:
  20. brakie

brakie Active Member

I wasn't thinking but,instead of a parking lot why not a trailer drop lot? This is where truck lines drop trailers for local industries for either loading or unloading at a later date and of course for "drop and hook".

The only question I have is:
    Why would a industry build at a crossing diamond where they can't unload their cars unless of course they are a none rail served industry?

BTW..I am not pushing any modeling agenda on you just trying to get you think outside of the box.