What to do with a Kato RSC-2?

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
I finally got my Alco RSC-2 from kato. You'll probably call me mad, but, what I'm going to do with it is... scratchbuilding...

I'm going to depart from a Milwuakee Decorated loco, and turn it into a portuguese CP 1500 series locomotive in it's last orange livery. I'll post here developments as I'm making them...

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
And now, ladies and gentlemen!

Now... two views of the complete and weathered model... a genuine 1500 series portuguese CP locomotive ;)

Hope you all love it like I do :D

Attachments

• Final 1.JPG
    Final 1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Final 2.JPG
    Final 2.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 119

Gavin171

Aug 29, 2004
SW,France
Ricardo I want to do something similar to a rs2 atlas do you strip original paint first and if so what do you use , the model you have done looks great; gavin

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
Gavin171 said:
Ricardo I want to do something similar to a rs2 atlas do you strip original paint first and if so what do you use , the model you have done looks great; gavin

Usually I strip the first original paint. In this case, I haven't done so, because it was already Orange based, so, I just painted with the surface primer, and then the overall paint. When I strip the first paint I use Denatured (Iso-propylic) Alcohol, and let the carcass inside it for some time, then use a brush, just like a toothbrush to strip the paint.

Thanks for all the opinions, guys!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Ricardo, are you MAD????

Just joking, couldn't resist after you said we might think you are mad. We know you are far from it. :D :D :D

Fantastic work! Beautiful. Some gaugers mihght not know these fellows in Portugal have no model available for their prototype, so they have to kitbash or scratchbuild everything. Maybe they are lucky, because this has produced some very talented modelers!

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
jon-monon said:
Ricardo, are you MAD????

Just joking, couldn't resist after you said we might think you are mad. We know you are far from it. :D :D :D

Fantastic work! Beautiful. Some gaugers mihght not know these fellows in Portugal have no model available for their prototype, so they have to kitbash or scratchbuild everything. Maybe they are lucky, because this has produced some very talented modelers!

It's right. For many years, people in Portugal didn't have any model at all, and we turned to other countries. Lots of friends of mine turned into the USA, others (like myself) to Germany... but the little creature of portuguese models were there, and I still made some home-built models for myself. With the passing years, the train shows and things like that, I almost turned fully into portuguese model railroading... almost, since when I made my choice a few years ago, I turned also into Marklin AC system. Since most portuguese home-built models are DC (and now, DCC), I had to make a layout for both of the track types, so... a double mainline, one track, DC, another AC, they never encounter, but are always paralell... and the main station is common, and the decoration refers to no place specific. That's the best way of doing this kind of things.... :D

For portuguese railroads, I build Maquetren Modules. Similar to yours NMRA and others... only with portuguese scenery.

But for those, I'll post them elsewhere :D:D:D