What to do when you get an engineer's cap as a gift

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ralph,Sorry I didn't pay much attention to your new engineer's hat..But,that super looking control stand caught my eye.. :thumb:
Is that real or home made? :confused: :D

Oh,about the hat..Wear it and in my case hide from the camera bug. :eek: ;) :D

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Nice picture. Cool control panel too!

I bought myself an engineer's cap 20 years ago at Disneyland, way before I was interested in model trains. I am a licensed civil engineer. It took me over an hour to sweet talk the lady into sewing my registration number on the brim instead of my name like they normally did. For years I hung it in my office. Now that I have a layout, it has been relocated to my basement.
Doc

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks guys! The hat and bandana were gifts from the five year old daughter of friends. When they visit I let her run a Pennsey doodlebug that she can speed up and reverse without fear of derailment.

The control stand is home made. The throttle and reverser lever work to actually control trains on the layout. If I was more clever I'd find some way for the brake to be functional but right now pulling the lever activates a hidden can of compressed air that makes a nice hiss. The horn chord sounds a continuous loop tape of a recorded horn when pulled and there is a bell switch hooked up to a tape player as well.

I posted about it before....here's a link to another pic of the control stand along with the protoype F unit control stand I modeled it after.

showthread.php