What to do when you get an engineer's cap as a gift

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Ralph, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

SMILE and let them take your picture!!! :)

Attached Files:

• me.jpg
      File size:
      32.8 KB
  2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Ralph are you pretending to be an engineer? LOL :D :D :D
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Too Cool!!!! :) : :)
  4. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

LOL, Choo chooo!!!
  5. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Neat picture!
  6. brakie

brakie Active Member

Ralph,Sorry I didn't pay much attention to your new engineer's hat..But,that super looking control stand caught my eye.. :thumb:
    Is that real or home made? :confused: :D

Oh,about the hat..Wear it and in my case hide from the camera bug. :eek: ;) :D
  7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Nice picture. Cool control panel too!

I bought myself an engineer's cap 20 years ago at Disneyland, way before I was interested in model trains. I am a licensed civil engineer. It took me over an hour to sweet talk the lady into sewing my registration number on the brim instead of my name like they normally did. For years I hung it in my office. Now that I have a layout, it has been relocated to my basement.
  8. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

That Control looks very real,Is that built from the plans I saw in an old MR,March of 57(thanks to my file system ) had one on a half size replica??:)
  9. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

Ralph, it looks like you are doing exactly what I would do if I got an engineers cap. Operate a Train!

Nice picture and congradulations on your new gift!

10. Ralph

Thanks guys! The hat and bandana were gifts from the five year old daughter of friends. When they visit I let her run a Pennsey doodlebug that she can speed up and reverse without fear of derailment.

The control stand is home made. The throttle and reverser lever work to actually control trains on the layout. If I was more clever I'd find some way for the brake to be functional but right now pulling the lever activates a hidden can of compressed air that makes a nice hiss. The horn chord sounds a continuous loop tape of a recorded horn when pulled and there is a bell switch hooked up to a tape player as well.

I posted about it before....here's a link to another pic of the control stand along with the protoype F unit control stand I modeled it after.

11. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Looks good on you Ralph!!!!! And that control stand is sweeeeet!!!!!

12. Ralph

I have a memory of a pic of you in engineer's cap and moustache....
  13. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Yeah, that's right!! I was going to ask you if you plan to grow one to go with the cap!! :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

14. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Great gift Ralph. Looks good on you.