what to do, what to do.....

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i have a 1978 lionel service station set , complete, all the box's for the engine and the cars, and the original shipping box, 6-1868 , Minn and st Louis

im debating on is i should sell it or keep it.

what would you do if you had it?
  2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Where did it come from..?? Is it something that personally means something to you..?? Only you can make that decision...
    I'll tell you...I Have a 1950's AF set (that's been added to in the course of the years...gift from Santa) that I would NEVER sell. No matter how much I was offered, or in what financial shape I might find myself in...NEVER..!!
  3. Well to tell the truth I'm looking into selling all my trains and I mean all as I 'm in a bad situation here and the only way out is that we sell everything (can't move it all back too much wear and tear on us.) and move back to VA. should never have left. It beautiful here but no jobs and the ones here that you can get don't pay enough to survive.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I never know the right answer for things like this. I guess if it was worth some money and I didn't want it I would sell it. However I can be a pack rat so I keep most things. I live on the basis you never know what is in the future.

As for the other part, everyone goes through a hard time every now and then. But one has to remember no matter how bad it is it is not the end of the world. I doubt selling your trains would help you make it to the next paycheck. However you have to do what you think is in your best interest at this time.

Jobs are a funny thing. There are a bunch out there the only thing is that you have to live where they are. It has been this way all of my life. This might explain why I have lived in three states during my job years. No ones fault it is just life and after all my grand parents made it through the depression I can make it through the little things.

Good luck and I wish you the best.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

this set just sits in the box 99% of the time. i dont NEED the money at this time, but i will be missing some work for surgery soon tho. i just think that if i sold it i could use that money to buy more newer trains
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

My wife had a Meccano set from the 1950s that belonged to her dad. It sat on a shelf for years. Finally she sold it to a collector who displays his sets at toy shows and so on. On one hand she is sad that it is gone, but on the other, she is happy that there is someone who appreciates it, uses it, and paid fair value for it. Also, since he is in the area, she has seen the set up and running at a couple of shows.