What this nscalin' furrball got himself for Christmas

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Catt, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Catt

Catt Guest

I've mentioned elsewhere that I got two gift certificates for Christmas to one of my favorite pusher's.

I went there this afternoon to find some goodies for the N scale layout.No luck finding anything I liked so I decided to leave and come back later when they weren't quite so busy.I stopped to chat with one of the train guys on the way out and he showed me THIS .

THIS is the new Bachmann 0n30 gas mechanical loco and she is a real sweetheart. :D
  2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Now that's cool!
  3. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Too Cute!

I've been hearing about these...Is that ever cool! How does it run? :)
  4. Jim T

Jim T Member

Catt, Great looking loco. I've been reading about it on Bachmans website but they don't have a pic of it yet. Tnx for posting it. On30 is looking even better to me. Might look a little stange with your n-scale stuff though. LOL

Cheers, Jim
  5. Catt

Catt Guest

this one runs smooth as silk.They had an undec that was a bit balky but just running it back and forth on a 3' test track had it purring like a kitten.

This baby is sitting on one of my TTRAK modules for her first picture. :)
  6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Catt that's really neat! :cool:
  7. Catt

Catt Guest

Not only is this little loco a good runner but she looks cute as can be sitting on one of my TTRAK modules.

Who says you can't combine N and 0 scales :D :D :D
  8. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I just figured it out Catt...On30 comes out to be about Nw144!
    :D ;) :p :D
    Seriously though, that looks like a very cool little machine! I think Bachman has struck gold with this RTR narrow gauge stuff! :thumb: :cool:
  9. Catt

Catt Guest

From what I've heard from people in the know Bachmann owes it all to the Dept 56 folks.

Dept 56 approached Bachmann with the idea for the trainsets and Bachmann said NO!.That is they did till Dept 56 said we want 5,000 sets.The rest is a happy history.

This stuff runs so much better than the standard B-mann fare that I wonder whose specs the Chinese are using.:D
  10. marc gast

marc gast Member

Dept 56/Bachmann

Dept 56/Bachmann are the same company (don't let 'em fool you).
    The On30 passenger set was designed specifically for the Dept. North Pole Village and could be used with some of the Dicken's etc. To enchance sales, two other road names were offered - Colorado Southern and Pennsy (although Pennsy had no such motive power or rolling stock). From there, the box cars, caboose, flat and low side godola were released. Yes, they have hit a gold mine. Nice stuff and affordable. Also, numerous other On30 items are now becoming available.

Saw Catt at the show yesterday. I had talked with him several times over the past couple of years here in Grand Rapids, but, didn't know he was of the same. Ya just never know.
    Also, the TTRK looks great. A new concept in the US for N scale module dislay.

11. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Catt my friend, that looks really cool, might just get me one of those.
  12. Johnson Bar

Johnson Bar Member

Thats a nice looking loco catt, if you dont mind the asking what did they stick you for it? Our shop down here in the great plains hasnt seen such a creature ! Is it near or larger than the 040 porter ?
  13. Catt

Catt Guest

Are you sitting down? The list price on this little fella is $90.I got a slightly better price as I also got a 0n30 tankcar (Bachmann) and a few other items for my $90.

While she runs just fine on HO track she don't like ATLAS power turnout motors.
  14. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

You could convert your N scale stuff to On16.:eek: :D :D :D :D

That's a neat critter you've got there!
  15. Catt

Catt Guest

Pete,when I get the time (thats a joke) Iplan to make a small probly portable layout to run the little bugger on.
  16. sumpter250

Just remember, when you extend the Bachmann coaches by four windows, they don't like 18" radius any more.:D :D
  17. Johnson Bar

Johnson Bar Member

18" radius! mercy , my shay doesnt even like 18" radius I had to revamp my hand laid code 83 to negoitiate a 22" radius. BTW Catt what do you mean by trouble with the atlas power turn out ? Just curious my Bachmann On3O shay doesnt like a #6 hand laid scratch built turn out live frog as well as a #6 micro eng. taylor made turn out! Just where is it your problem is at in the frog? Mine likes to climb up and over the frogs no matter code nor make. any comments? I posted my problem in another thread but no replys as of yet.
  18. Catt

Catt Guest

No problem with the turnout itself but the turnout motor snags the foot boards on the gas mechanical.

If there were such a thing as a low rider locomotive this little beauty is it.
  19. sumpter250

AAhhhhhhh...........where's the NMRA On30 standards gauge when you need it ! ;) ;) ;) ;) ....................................did I say standards, and On30 in the same breath:eek: :eek: :D :D :D

(Ron, I'm joking,,,really)