What the kit said...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I posted pix of this work way back when but, with this new camera, I thought folks could get more from better pictires.

The Model Power Firehouse comes with what has got to be the ugliest vehicle of any sort on the market. They call it a firetruck and it may indeed be one but only in the academic sense...

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 462

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Add "Sparky" the dalmation, a bell and fire extinguishers made from sprue material and locomotive gladhands...

Attachments

• firea.jpg
    firea.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 440

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
So much for the tanker, now on to the pumper. The hose reel is two brake wheels and thin solder for a hose, the valves ar N scale brakewheels and sprue material...

Attachments

• fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 444

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The crank siren is an old model ship fog horn and more sprue bits.
The strap bumpers on both of them were the hardest things to do being made from very thin Evergreen Styrene strips. The windshields are scribed clear styrene with the brass frames painted on.

Attachments

• fireb.jpg
    fireb.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 431

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by MasonJar
If that truly is the same vehicle under all those modifications...

OOOoooOoooooowwwwwww....that hurts, that really hurts :rolleyes: :p :D

Thanks, guys. They were inspired by a scenery article written by Bob Hayden and Dave Frary. In it they were using the wheels as junk in their scenery. Knowing where the wheels came from and having two of the kit trucks sitting in my scrap box, I figured there's got to be some kind of more noble use for them. There is about 5 hours in each one, plus another hour of painting. The biggest modification is the rear on each one. You can see in the pictures where I cut out the top and back of the body as well as cut out 3 1/2 scale feet in the middle to shorten them up to a more realistic length. I added body panels around the cabs, making them appear to have an open door. I also cut off the axles and replaced them with styrene rod to help them sit a little lower on the road.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by shaygetz

OOOoooOoooooowwwwwww....that hurts, that really hurts :rolleyes: :p :D

Thanks, guys. They were inspired by a scenery article written by Bob Hayden and Dave Frary. In it they were using the wheels as junk in their scenery. Knowing where the wheels came from and having two of the kit trucks sitting in my scrap box, I figured there's got to be some kind of more noble use for them. There is about 5 hours in each one, plus another hour of painting. The biggest modification is the rear on each one. You can see in the pictures where I cut out the top and back of the body as well as cut out 3 1/2 scale feet in the middle to shorten them up to a more realistic length. I added body panels around the cabs, making them appear to have an open door. I also cut off the axles and replaced them with styrene rod to help them sit a little lower on the road.

See... given your description of what you did - it really is a scratch build!! ;)

I am very impressed! Really! And I do think it deserves a prize - but something better than the standard Gauge prize. However, if you do want those horn-hooks, I'll see what I have got... :D

Again - nice work!!

Andrew

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
WOW!

Great example of making ice cream from horse crap.

I agree, this ranks up there with the Chevron station scratchbuild.

Tom

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Shay I have to say I have one of those nasty looking firetrucks somewhere in one of my junkboxes now I might be inclined to try and upgrade it as well. Your look like there ready to go to the parade. Well done Pat.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by CCT70
WOW!

Great example of making ice cream from horse crap.

While I thought that they were less than adequate models of firetrucks, I never quite thought of them as equine effluvium:rolleyes: :p :D

Pat, Jon, when you find them, let me know. I actually have a slide series I took while I was doing it with the idea of shooting for one of them Dremels in RMC magazine. Got the Dremel another way and so the slides got buried...:eek:ops: