What the heck is it????

TrainJunkee

I was walking my dog along the CSX line that runs by my house and I stumbled across a siding where the tracks were removed from the mainline.. I followed the siding up to something that looks like a ash pit or a scale.. Does anyone know what it is exactly???

Attachments

• PICT1109.JPG
    PICT1109.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 5
  • PICT1110.JPG
    PICT1110.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 5
  • PICT1112.JPG
    PICT1112.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PICT1108.JPG
    PICT1108.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 3

TrainJunkee

Just a side not the 3 footing were aligned with the pit thought it might have been used for some type of overhead loader like getting the ash in a truck

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Hmmm.....
Is that coal I see in the pit?
Check the history of the area. There might have been a coal dealer there at one time or another. The pit looks real close to this one I saw next to an old coal dealer near my house.

Attachments

• 000_0006.jpg
    000_0006.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 9

TrainJunkee

Hmmm.....
Is that coal I see in the pit?
Check the history of the area. There might have been a coal dealer there at one time or another. The pit looks real close to this one I saw next to an old coal dealer near my house.

hmmm... looks close but the pit is next to the rail and there seams to be some large piece of steel going from under the rail to the pit... I will dig... The guy that owns the local hobby shop Tucker's is an old timer and he was telling me that he was going to work for the local railroad but he didnt want the job of shoveling coal into the engines furnace.. He's gotta know something about it...