what software works best

daishi

Apr 14, 2011
Hungary
If Pepakura is bad, please define what do you expect from a "good" program?

I mean you don't like the controls, or you use the auto-unwrap and not satisfied with it (which I can totally understand)?

I know for example that when cutting the models I had a hard time rotating and panning the model view until I've noticed you can move the rotation center around. Maybe its just that you are missing something which is not absent just hidden in Pepakura.

But answering your question all alternatives I know for creating templates are plugins for much more complex programs, or was barely functional when I last tried them .

daishi

Apr 14, 2011
Hungary
So you import a model from an .obj file, (assign textures if needed), hit auto-unfold and it doesn't do anything? or just the parts it makes are white?

If it's the first case well that's definitely not working right maybe try reinstalling it, if it's the latter case there is a setting that does that, can't remember where exactly, but it should be turned off by default.

BTW The program I was remembering is called Ultimate Papercraft 3D, never tried it so dunno how useful it is, but there you go.

daishi

Apr 14, 2011
Hungary
I cant think of anything else, except maybe using something like AutoCad (just guessing) or that script package for Google Skechup (never tried it)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
you have to buy programs so they don't freeze or mess it all up when you try to close a project. at least that's why happened to me. try searching youtube for tutorials on how to get a free cad 3d drawing program.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Blender and Sketchup are both free programs (that can be found on the internet) and there are many designers who use them and produce GREAT models.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you are a student, or have a child that is a student, you can get Rhino 3D 5.0, fully functional for $200 dollars, which is far Better than the normal $1000 it goes for. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Zip them up, then you can upload them. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you upload the file, then someone can look at it and see if it is a working file, or contains errors.

When you start using a program, (and there is a difference between CAD and Drawing Programs, though the difference is getting less relevant for certain things) you must commit to that software, and really stick to it. If you haven't spend 6 months on an established program, you will never find a program that works. Perseverance is key, or taking a formal course. Learning this kind of software on your own is very very difficult. You have to document every step you take and make so that others can help you. You posts are too generalized and you find out very fast that you won't get the help you are looking for as you need to be more methodical.

In all honesty, if you don't have a technical background, the best thing to do is to make a box. Then try and unfold it. Make all the primitive shapes. If you make a box, and cannot get it to unfold properly, then you must go through every setting, including returning everything to default, and not continue till you get that step correct, and every single step afterwards.

Without a precise, methodical approach, you cannot succeed in any software you use. Even if you upload a file that I can open and manipulate, but you can't, it means your software is not set up right. Just one setting will mess everything up.

wingsabre

Jun 29, 2012
I agree about the automatic unfold option. I once unfolded something and got hundreds of tiny triangles. It was a preliminary design, so there were no colors. I had to refold, and cut it where I'd like it to unfold. A huge pain because you have to think backwards on how you'd like to assemble it.