What software can do this?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Arjun, May 23, 2007.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

I've been making virtual models on Metasequoia, and I'm having difficulty applying the camouflage textures I had made on MSPaint (I don't have Photoshop, can't afford it now) or ArcSoft PhotoImpression 5 on the surfaces. If I say "flat spread", it makes camouflage colours look like tiger stripes. If I say Cylindrical, that stripey effect still exists. And Spherical makes each patch look much bigger than ever. Likewise, I'd like to know how to create a paint job for an airliner's tail fin. This one below seems impossible.
  2. Maharg

Maharg Member

Arjun, if possible get Rhino, It's the best 3D modeller out there IMHO. There's not much of what you have asked about in this thread that it won't do. Have a look at the Renderosity Rhino3D Forum.
    MSPaint hmmm, do a search for freeware graphics apps. You'll be amazed at what you can find for free. :)
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Arjun, if you really want to texture in Meta you'd better do it in UV... (which unfortunately is only available in the paid version) Or you can try changing your texture to fit to the model.
  4. Arjun

Arjun Member

I tried changing the texture to fit my model, and it gets mirrored in Meta, but I find it very tedious and can't catch some changes where I want them. Moreover, it started gobbling up memory...at least my new PC won't complain so much.

How much does the full version of Meta cost? And what else do I get? I need to get the symbols printed on the layout as well. Pepakura doesn't allow much adjustment of inserted images- it can't even rotate or scale pictures!

Does PhotoShop also enter the mix? I need to add up costs and decide what to do...may even buy only Rhino, but that's very expensive.

Recently, I printed out the Flanker plans directly, then got'em scanned for a little over one dollar equivalent, then modified them on ArcSoft PhotoImpression (which came free with my camera) and re-printed them on card paper, and my printer was subject to a lot of paper jams. That was a very problem-ridden model which had all its faults visible clearly even on my phone camera. I need suggestions on that one.
  5. eagleone

eagleone Member

For a beginner?

After reading this thread I am at a loss. For a beginner who wants to try there hand at designing a paper model and seeing if their any good at it what would be the best free programs for creating one and unrolling one??
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

SketchUp and the unfolding plug-in for sketchup mentioned. This works quite well!!

7. jmihich

jmihich New Member

okay i have also run into this problem with metasequia. my guess is that you have either selected the entire area you want textured or the texture isnt perfectly square metasequia needs it square or else it will stretch/shrink it and in camo it would make it square. if the first is the problem youll have to select parts of it at a time and try to align the textures so that it is uniform across the model. if its the second well thats obvious. i also have just started designing my own models none of which are very good but im working on it. as far as i know pepakura is the only software that unfolds models.
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I've used CadPro 9 and I can't get it to draw anything I want within a degree of accuracy. It seems to be for rough sketching(for lack of a better term), and I've never seen any part of the program that one could input numbers into and have the line come out at exactly the right place. Metasequoia on the other hand is excellent, even the freeware version. The only concern I have is I can't find the button that puts it in 2D view. Other than that I love it!