What should the weight be?

berraf

I´m new at N-scale and recently bought a handfull of US boxcars but they seem to have too little weight. A strange fenomenen which myself don´t have no trouble with.
How much weight should for instance a 50 feet boxcar have?
Please answer in gram because I don´t understand US-weights...either :D
I´m asking because I´m use too Ho-scale and don´t want to stress my locos too much.
You can see the wagons here
Thank´s for your advice in this light-weight dilemma :)

shaygetz

The NMRA standard for N scale is 1/2 ounce plus .15 oz. per inch of car length. Acccck! Just saw the grams thing...I'll be back...14 grams plus 4 grams per inch of length. :thumb:

brakie

Actually you DON'T want to add TO MUCH weight because the newer DCC ready or DCC equipped locomotives are lighter then the older units.My suggestion is a piece of stick on weight over each truck and to use the Micro Trains wheel sets..

holdenburg

brakie said:
Actually you DON'T want to add TO MUCH weight because the newer DCC ready or DCC equipped locomotives are lighter then the older units.My suggestion is a piece of stick on weight over each truck and to use the Micro Trains wheel sets..

Hi Brakie...

Can you tell us your experience regrding Micro Train wheel sets? Can they make an improvement on the stock wheel sets provided and if so, why are they better? (sorry for the newbiee questions)

Happy New Year Everyone...:wave:

Herb

holdenburg

Thanks for your response...

brakie said:
The Micro Train wheel set or the Micro Train trucks with couplers is a N Scale modeler's standard practice because it allows smoother operation and best couplers.
Hi Larry...
Thanks for your response. I see there is much discussion regarding the different types of couplers. Having just entered back into this hobby, I am starting with N Gauge having experience only in HO in the 70's, so there is much to learn. I ordered some Atlas N cars and am wondering what type of trucks will be standard and what type of couplers will arrive with these new cars? I will have to wait and see when they arrive.

I checked out your link and have been on this site a number of times. With all the available types of trucks they offer, which one do you use? The one you provided the link too??

Best Regards & Happy New Year;

Herb

brakie

Herb,I model the NS so my cars are the modern type so I use the trucks that has roller bearings.
http://www.micro-trains.com/n trucks.htm

http://www.micro-trains.com/n trucks.htm

The Atlas cars should have Accurail couplers UNLESS they are from a ol stock then they will have Rapido couplers which needs to be replace.

Now some brands of cars come with the MT trucks/coupler and that saves you some hobby $$.Also buying the truck/coupler by the bulk pack will save you hobby dollars as well.
Happy New Year!

berraf

Is it so that Microtrains couples have the same standard as Kadee?
I mean, can I use both brands together?
I suppose it´s a silly question but I do want to know for sure :rolleyes:

brakie

berraf said:
Is it so that Microtrains couples have the same standard as Kadee?
I mean, can I use both brands together?
I suppose it´s a silly question but I do want to know for sure :rolleyes:

Absolutely! However the Accumate coupler will fail and need replace..Best to replace the couplers straight away or you can use 'em till they fail..

holdenburg

brakie said:
Herb,I model the NS so my cars are the modern type so I use the trucks that has roller bearings.
http://www.micro-trains.com/n%20trucks.htm

http://www.micro-trains.com/n%20trucks.htm

The Atlas cars should have Accurail couplers UNLESS they are from a ol stock then they will have Rapido couplers which needs to be replace.

Now some brands of cars come with the MT trucks/coupler and that saves you some hobby $$.Also buying the truck/coupler by the bulk pack will save you hobby dollars as well.
Happy New Year!

Hi Larry;

Thanks for the reply and advice. A learning process here as I was well versed in HO in the 70's and am now getting back in and am using N Gauge. Ok, your links will be used when I receive the Atlas passenger cars I ordered. I had to purchase Atlas to get C&NW which is part of my project to build out a C&NW 400 route for my Dad. (Ex C&NW employee) There are some Walthers and Kato series cars but I have been unable to find these. With your information, I can critique these Atlas cars when they come in.

My next training issue will be what type of track to purchase? I am following some threads here on the forum and there are different opinions. The different sizes of track will offer different types of appearance. Also, with the passenger cars, I am seeing some different opinions regarding what type of radius to purchase for a more realistic appearance. etc. etc. Some users are able to use Atlas and weather and paint it with specific ballast and the results are really good! Time to get back to the books for more information and training!

TTYL and Happy New Year...

Herb :wave: