What Should I Do First?

Biggerhammer

Mar 22, 2001
Concord, NH 03301
Visit site
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charlie:
DON'T PUT OIL ON YOUR TRACK!! Every kind of dirt in the world is going to get stuck in that, & you'll just end up with a big ball of nasty!
[/B]</font>
Again I accent my lack of experience. Oil in the sliding spots was specifically suggested by at least one book that I read. What do you use to keep your glue from binding where it should not?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Bigghammer,

I wish there was such a glue!!!
eek.gif
I'd be first in the queue to buy some!

TOOT!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Biggerhammer,
As long as you're not using anything stronger than 50/50 diluted white glue, & you haven't ballasted the throwbar, you shouldn't have any problem.
Diluted white glue, while an excellent adhesive for bonding ballast, & other scenery materials, is ineffective for bonding metal & plastic, the components of a commercial turnout. Like I said, if the throw bar feels like it's stuck after the glue has dried, then MANUALLY move the throwbar, & it should break free easily, & remain free.
Now if you've ballasted & bonded your throwbar, THEN you've got a problem. Once again, keep ballast off the throwbar.
If you feel you need to lubricate the moving parts of your turnouts, use powdered graphite. Kadee makes it, & it comes in a little tube, so you can squirt it wherever you need it.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
I'm so sorry most of you cannot procure Homasote where you live for a sub-roadbed.

It sounds like WT&C and I should go into a business of shipping Homasote around to hobby shops and exporting paint!
wink.gif
And find that book that says to put oil on your track and shred it to make some scenery!

Charlie, you really don't want graphite anywhere near your locomotives. Try a dry lubricant on the turnout if you really need one. Since 1965, I've never heard of anyone needing to lubricate a turnout.

I tend to think that if you have trouble with a turnout and it's old, the best thing is to replace the entire thing.

george.