What Should I Do First?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by wt&c, May 8, 2001.

1. Biggerhammer

Biggerhammer Member

Again I accent my lack of experience. Oil in the sliding spots was specifically suggested by at least one book that I read. What do you use to keep your glue from binding where it should not?
  2. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

I wish there was such a glue!!! [​IMG] I'd be first in the queue to buy some!

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

As long as you're not using anything stronger than 50/50 diluted white glue, & you haven't ballasted the throwbar, you shouldn't have any problem.
    Diluted white glue, while an excellent adhesive for bonding ballast, & other scenery materials, is ineffective for bonding metal & plastic, the components of a commercial turnout. Like I said, if the throw bar feels like it's stuck after the glue has dried, then MANUALLY move the throwbar, & it should break free easily, & remain free.
    Now if you've ballasted & bonded your throwbar, THEN you've got a problem. Once again, keep ballast off the throwbar.
    If you feel you need to lubricate the moving parts of your turnouts, use powdered graphite. Kadee makes it, & it comes in a little tube, so you can squirt it wherever you need it.
  4. George

George Member

I'm so sorry most of you cannot procure Homasote where you live for a sub-roadbed.

It sounds like WT&C and I should go into a business of shipping Homasote around to hobby shops and exporting paint! [​IMG] And find that book that says to put oil on your track and shred it to make some scenery!

Charlie, you really don't want graphite anywhere near your locomotives. Try a dry lubricant on the turnout if you really need one. Since 1965, I've never heard of anyone needing to lubricate a turnout.

I tend to think that if you have trouble with a turnout and it's old, the best thing is to replace the entire thing.