What should i build as my first scratch projecT??

Im pavariangoo!

Apr 13, 2005
hey

I have been inspired to try a scratchbuild project for n scale.

any suggestions on an easy structure? i was thinking maybe a small bridge or shed would be even easier.

what shoul di know before beggining??

i need something to do while saving for switches =)

many thanks and plz give pics of structures i could try and of completed models!!

many thanks!

im pavariangoo!;)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
My advice would be go to the Scrtchin' & Bashin' forum here, & look at some of the scratchbuilding others are doing...this will give you lots of pointers & ideas.

It's also important to have a good set of modeling tools before getting into scratchbuilding...
A good basic set would would include a metal scale ruler (for measuring & straight-edge cutting)
An x-acto knife, with plenty of #11 blades.
An x-acto razor saw
A set of small files
Some tweezers

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
you might think about scratching a HO or larger building for your first try to get you familiar with the techniques and materials as the larger size is easer (for me) then move down to N.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Build yourself some line sheds. You know. Those little sheds that stand by switches and such. These would be small structures, easy to compleat and can always find a home somewhere on the layout.

TrainClown ;)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I would suggest something with mainly straight linesand right angles to start. Sheds as TC suggests, or an outhouse. Or a larger house with no fancy bits.
And see Robin's section -- what you can do and only pay for knife blades and glue.

Im pavariangoo!

Apr 13, 2005
Ok i have just about finished it. Now before we look at it remember it is made as a FIRST scratchbuilt. COmpletely from raw materials. nothing (windows ect) was bought, just paint,foam,balsa ect.

Im not quite sure what it is and its a bit bigger than HO

ill put something in the pic for reference.

i will put lots of pics of a small model =)

lets have your opinions:)

Attachments

• goog.JPG
    goog.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 68

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Hey that's not to shabby for a first time out. Look's like it could be a multi person out house it you add another door on the other side and put "Men" "Women" on it. Trainclown, I made one of those line shed's last week from a sheet of styrene and some wood from a JV Models Haliburton engine house that was give to me this this past spring. Nt everything was there so it's being used for other build off's. The line shed came out pretty nice with a visable wood frame much like a real house. It even has a bench to sit on and seat's 2-3 crew members. Only mistake I made was that it wasn't tall enough. The guy's hit their head's on the roof brace's so they have to stay hunkered over a bit lol. I'll try and not make that mistake again next time. Until then they'll be complaining about headache's to the yard master over the radio because they keep bumping their head's!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Not bad at all, especially for your first attempt. One of the things that helps to set scratchbuilt structures apart from kits is that you can make them site specific, as you've done by placing yours on the small diorama.
Wayne

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Good stuff... I like the steps and walkway...

Try looking for blueprints, like on this site:

CERC Blueprints index

You can buy them full-sized (for real buildings), but they're easily good enough in 'preview' as A4 pages for model making. Some nice sheds and farm buildings, with dates so you can get things a bit appropriate.

glenn railey

Aug 7, 2005
Georgia
Im: The best advice you will get is do what ever feels right. By this I mean do you want to create something that is true to a prototype [ recreate an actual line] or freelance [ something that is fun ]. I created a journey to the North Pole this year. It is just a mountain scene. I added a flying Santa Clause to the Natural Scene. The natural scene included a owl and a hawk in seperate trees. There are several trees, a waterfall, a lake, and and a mountain lake.
IT IS MUCH EASIER TO MAKE IT TO MAKE IT MATCH AN N SCALE THAN AN Z SCALE layout.

It doesn't get to the North Pole, it doesn't deal with the departure site, it is just a snapshot on a journey. This is a GREAT format to create a fantasy that is enjoyable and realistic at the same time.

THE WHOLE IDEA OF MODEL TRAINS IS TO HAVE FUN - BOTTOM LINE

Glenn from Locust Grove

Im pavariangoo!

Apr 13, 2005
hey thanks for your input and im checking out that site.

ill put up a pic of the roof and you can tell me what you think is good or bad about it

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Not a bad first build. This is how you would improve it. The roof should over-lap at the edges. You should cut the boards straighter and not work them so much. They look whittled, and you want to try and stay away from that. Less hued, more saw cut like. If you are going for a hued look, then make the tool marks way smaller. Remember, a little tiny dude built this, so the tool marks should match his tools.

I don't think your finished painting it, or, the color should be muted with a lighter color, dry brushed over that color to lighten it up. It's too dark right now. Even if you paint it blue or yellow, you should still weather the surface to give it some age. Weathering is a good way to bring out details too. What you have done isn't wrong. Lots of guys paint the dark shadows first then dry brush a lighter color over the dark. This gives a nice shading effect. You should darken the end of the roof beams too. Right now they are to bright and catch the light.

Could be a fishing cabin. Or a dynamite shack from a mine. A trappers supply hut. A smoke house beside a river. A place for your mother-in-law when she comes to visit. :D

I hope this helps.

TrainClown ;)