What should a card model offer to be worth buying?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Mark Crowel, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Following up on cgutzmer's thread: "How many card models do you purchase a year?", what features do you look for in a card model that you would buy, as opposed to downloading a free model?
  2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

To me it's simply a matter of 1) the model having decent detail, 2)having good information on the printer / designer to know I shouldn't have major build issues and 3)a subject I want to model in a scale I want to build it.
    Having really good build diagrams and / or English instructions are a bonus.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Good question! For me its print quality (primarily metallics), then subject availability, then support of the designer/seller :)
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I mostly stay away from free models since I didn't see one yet that I would like to build.
    What I'm looking for in commercial kits is:
    1. Good detail and graphics - model should look like a real plane but it doesn't have to have 20 parts where 3 would suffice.
    2. No major fit issues - I don't have time and patience to fight with the model every step of the way....
    2. Subject - even most interesting model, if designd/offered with poor detail will make me stay away from it.
  5. jasco

jasco Member

I am completely in love with downloadable, electronic model files. Even if you have to buy a CD, it is preferable to buying a printed kit IMHO. The only printed kits I've ever built were Geli kits, one of which turned out fine, the other was a disaster that got thrown away. With the electronic model, you always have a second (or third, fourth, fifth) chance to get it right.
  6. josve

josve Active Member

Well...I look for a lot of parts,which means a lot of details or just a model I like :)
    I just buy a lot of models....sort of collecting!
  7. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

It's the subject for me. It has to be a model that I particularly want to build. I'll buy a model if it not available as a free download, or if the commercial model is significantly better than free offering. Maker's reputation comes into it as well. Like Michael, I don't want to have the hassle of poor fit or poor detail.
  8. ninja_doc

ninja_doc Member

I'm a relative beginner so I look for models to download and print as I make mistakes that I don't want to spoil a good commercial kit with. I have been accumulating a few commercial kits over the last few years but it will probably be a few months before I feel up to trying one to build.
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I haven't really bought any commercial model (yet:D ) so I can't really say much on this...... Although scarce, you can actually find models with pretty decent detail and fit on the internet (such as Currell's models) and I'm satisfied with that.

...And Michael, aren't your Geebee a free download? ;)
  10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Yes and no.
    Electronic version is free but there is also printed commercial version available from Modelik. Anyway, GeeBee is not in my area of interest - of course I could add Hinomarus and sling a big bomb under its fuselage :mrgreen:
  11. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Don't vehicle designs become public domain after a certain period much like anything else?
    Do the big plastic model companies pay royalties to publish kits?
    What about race vehicles? If I want to sell a model of a Nascar Impala, who has the likeness rights? Nascar itself? Chevy? All OEM's involved since the Chevy, Dodge, Ford and Toyota COT's share the same template?

I'm just curious, because I wonder about the market for models of cars of your own design versus those of existing vehicles.
  12. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I disagree with freemodels not being better than purchased. I can easily think of a half dozen free models that are at the level or better than most purchased models.
  13. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Yes, AMT, Revell, and the rest pay licencing fees to the automakers.

The automakers are stingy about their likeness rights. Example: because Chrysler bought AMC in the late '80's, Chrysler claims rights to every nameplate AMC ever owned, including Nash, Hudson, Rambler, Kaiser-Fraser, and Willys. Chrysler even sued a die-cast model manufacturer in the '90's for making a Nash model without Chrysler's permission.
  14. loadmat

loadmat Member

1. Subject matter
    I'm so new in paper that I'm not always aware of whats good or bad. I have learned that the older polish kits are on poor quality paper - that's what has urged me to convert the old T-54 in polish markings to an interesting Isreali Turan 4. GPM's cover art of built models are a big draw for me, and the WAK kits that I bought of WWI fighters are awesome. I also have a Halinski kit that is really good too.
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Subject matter is important to me. Also detail and proper instructions.

Finally buildability. If that is even a word. I would prefer to buy a kit that CAN be built rather than one that supposedly buildable but turns out that every build thread ends with the project incomplete due to a series of minor or major hiccups that the designer messed up.