What scale is the new K-Line "G" equipment?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Mike R, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Mike R

Mike R Member

There's been a press release on a new line of "G" equipment from K-Line. There's a GP unit with army train,[ low cost ] and what appears to be a pretty nice old time Heinz reefer.[at $70.00].
    The SCALE isn't stated.....and G is a gauge, not a scale.

Anyone know if it's 1:20.3, 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29,...or anything?

No luck with this question on the trains.com forum, even though Kalmbach did the press release on their website.

No luck on Trainboard, except the moderator from Belgium figuring it was too cheap to be any good.

No answer to my email inquiry from K-Line themselves.

Nowhere to post it at Atlas forum.

regards / Mike:confused: :confused:
  2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Mike, good question. Short of buying some and measuring them, who knows. K-Line hasn't been to responsive here of late to e mail questions. I considered getting the GP35 and repainting it in a paint scheme other than Army green. If they were really interested in doing it right, the Army paints their geeps a bright red with yellow accent and lettering. The cars may not be any scale, judging by the pictures of the the things they call trucks. :confused: The reefer does look good though, so maybe K-Line will add some more cars, and not repeat the ones out there already.

Greg Elems
  3. Bill in Wayne

Bill in Wayne New Member

G-Scale equipment has a 1:22.5 relationship to real life equipment, operating on 45mm track (rails approximately 1 3/4" apart. However, K-Line does not mention this in their new 2003 catalog. I suggest emailing their customer service folks at
  4. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

The only manufacturer that works mostly in 1:22.5 scale is LGB. Bachmann's "G" Gauge is 1:20.3 scale (they are calling it Fn3). USA Trains and Aristocraft do their "G" gauge in 1:29 scale. Then there is #1 gauge (1:32 scale). All these scales run on the 45mm "G" gauge track. When I was running a hobby shop in southern California, I was always getting a kick out of customers coming into the store and asking about "G SCALE". :confused:
    Then I would go into my dissertation on that is no such scale. I would explain with a broad grin that "G" gauge was made up of at least 4 different scales. Most of my customers just shook their heads and laughed along with me. :D

5. Razorwitz

Razorwitz New Member

I'm not sure, but I've been told most of the rolling stock looks identical to Bachmann stuff..

You might want to ask at mylargescale.com .. It's a good forum for G.