What scale do you model and or operate?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by NSnosteam, Sep 23, 2006.

What scale do you model

1. Z

0 vote(s)
  2. N

0 vote(s)
  3. HO

0 vote(s)
  4. S

0 vote(s)
  5. O

0 vote(s)
  6. G

0 vote(s)
  7. Real scale

0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

I model HO but I am starting to dabble a little in G. It is very expensive, might be cost prohibitive.
  2. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Intersting pole results.
  3. johntealn30

johntealn30 New Member

4. indy197905

indy197905 New Member

I model in HO.
  5. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

NSnosteam: It's O scale, narrow gauge, 30 inches between the rails. I model both HO and On30.
  6. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

NSnosteam, just type in On30 in yer Yahoo search box and you will get
    an eyeful!! It's some kind of dang Conspiracy or something...:D :D :D
  7. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

I'm doing HO for myself and helping my son with N scale. I will be looking at a G scale garden train after we are done with the house.

8. smullen

smullen New Member

I'm doing O, because I like them a bit bigger (than HO or N) and around here (st. Louis) there seems to be a lot of places that have a decent ammount of O Guage Engines, cars and accessories...

After I do an inside layout in (O) and really learn alot about the subject, I'd really like to do a large G layout outside our house... Think of the space!!!! I can already invision a few tunnels and tressels and maybe a bridge over a watefall/pond and I could run it into the garage for service and storage...
  9. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Space for an outside layout? We own a 200 acre farm........don't even get me started....LOL

10. smullen

smullen New Member

200 Acres!!!!! Thats the stuff dreams are made of!!!

If I had 200 Acres, I'd forget the G Gauge and build one I could ride on....

You guys remember that train that used to run through Ricky Schroders house on the 80s sitcom Silver Spoons....

That would be cool to build a layout with trains you can ride on and or drive it by remote control....
  11. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

oldtanker: Thats room for a ride on scale train set. I thought about G scale for a short time until I saw all of the weeds come up last spring. We have every noxious weed known to man here in Montana and I just can't see myself trying to keep them out of a garden railroad.
  12. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Smullen, if only my budget would support it!

Jim, 2-4D!!!! Very safe herbicide that works on thistle and wormwood!

13. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

We have a type of weed called Spotted Knapweed that got imported from central Asia many years ago. It takes a special herbacide called Tordon to kill the stuff. If left alone, the roots will go down fifteen or twenty feet. To top it off, you have to wear gloves when pulling it . If not, you get an infection that won't heal. Maybe I could prune it to look like mini trees for a garden railroad.
  14. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

No O27 Love? :confused:

My previous comment was only meant in humor. If it was not taken that way, I appologise.
  15. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Cannonball: I'm not going to touch that comment. I can see the makings of a flame war,
  16. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Before this gets out of hand, I will say that O27 is a scale. You really don't hear to much about O27 that much. You mostly hear about O, On3, & On30 these days. For those of you that don't know what O27 Scale is here is a link: http://www.thortrains.net/027stand.htm

I have a list of all the scales that our out there in this world, and if you don't understand what they mean or are let me know & I will get the information for you like I did above. Now back on with the subject.:wave:
  17. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Does anyone still model TT gauge? This should bring a few "what's TT gauge?" comments. I can't even remember the ratio to the real world for TT.
  18. Chessie6459

Jim here is some info on TT Gauge.

TT scale is a niche model railroading scale, whose name stands for Table Top. Its 1:120 scale (from a common engineering scale where one inch equals ten feet) and 12 mm gauge sizes it almost halfway between HO scale (1:87) and N scale (1:160). Its original purpose, like the name suggests, was to make a train small enough to be able to assemble and operate it on a tabletop.
  19. Chessie6459

Here are some pictures of live steam engines. Just follow the link. http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=10414&highlight=Live+Steam
  20. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

This poll is quite odd, because I remember seeing polls in model railroader with results showing the gap between HO and the other scales being much, much greater. I thought HO was 70%+, N was 16%, O was 8%, etc...

I model in both HO and On3. For those that know of On30, but not On3, On30 is 30" guage trains in O scale...On3 is 36" gauge trains in O scale. 36" gauge is much more accurate for american prototypes (such as Bachmann's mogul, BLI's consolidation), but it generally is more of a craftsman gauge due to the a lack of RTR equipment and difficult to find flex track (no sectional track available). Fortunately, the influx of high quality On30 models has given us a good supply of cheap equipment that just needs to be regauged by 3/32" and it increases the interest in narrow gauge modelling.

I used to model in N, G, and HOn3. I still occastionally dabble in HOn3.