What scale......cars and trucks for decorations....

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by MCF, Dec 24, 2005.

1. MCF

MCF Member

cars and trucks should you get to go with an 'O' scale layout...I would like to get some 18 wheelers to put around the track and at crossings....is 1/48 or 1/45 the best size and where is a good place to get them??
  2. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Die Cast Direct. Also some are K-Line and Lionel.
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

If you are looking for true scale "O Scale" then you what 1/48. Some of the K-lines trucks are now true 1/43 and look (and are) large and oversize for 'O Gauge' trains.

Many diecast car / truck mfg do not produce true scale cars as we in trains consider scale. For them 'near scale' is close enough.

In most cases, cars / trucks that are 1/43 is fine for 'O gauge' trains. Trucks many times are at 1/50 scale and the small trucks match the reduced lenght of may 'O Gauge' trains.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Wandering the diecast car section of toy stores and toy aisles of discount stores can sometimes yield some suitable vehicles as well, and often the price is low. I scored most of my best finds at K-B Toys. The scale isn't always stated on the package, but if a passenger car is around four inches long, chances are it'll look fine on an O scale layout. Try to imagine a person 1.5 inches tall (which is the height of a 6-foot person in O scale) next to it. Admittedly you're more likely to find suitable passenger cars than semi tractor-trailers at discount and toy stores though. I've even found 1:43 vehicles at dollar stores. The quality isn't the greatest, but for a buck, they're a cheap way to populate a layout and can be relegated to the back of the layout as you get better vehicles.
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

American O uses the scale of 1:48.
    British O uses a scale of 1:43.
    Some of the toy O gauge uses scales down to 1:64.
  6. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

When you hit 1:64, your talkin' S-Gauge partner.

7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Some O27 actually is 1:64 (same as S gauge) or very close to it. The very last of the prewar American Flyer O gauge was scaled to 1:64 (3/16"=1ft) and said so right on the box. Marx copied the idea with its own tin litho 3/16 line, which it produced both before and after the war. Lionel and later Marx (and, by extension, K-Line) plastic O27 varied a bit in scale, but if you hold a plastic O27 boxcar body up next to an American Flyer S gauge boxcar, they're close. And there's a particular Marx plastic stockcar whose number I don't recall at the moment that was even closer. K-Line's recent S gauge cars are actually made from the old Marx O27 molds. K-Line just put S gauge trucks on them. Some S gaugers don't like them because they're not scaled precisely, especially compared to say, S-Helper, but for the many S gaugers who've been putting S gauge trucks on O27 cars for years anyway, they're fine.

Traditional O gauge has tended to play very fast and loose with scale, which is part of the reason people tend to just eyeball diecast cars to see if they look about right.

There are also newer, scale-sized 3-rail O gauge models that are accurately scaled to 1:48 but aside from a couple of periods in the early 1940s and 1970s when Lionel experimented with scale 1:48 models, this is a relatively recent phenomenon.
  8. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Here is a comparison of the same cars done by different mfg and both calling it 1/43 scale.

The two on the left are Chrysler 300 and the two on the right are Cadalics

The two cars on the outside are made by Matchbox Collectables and the two in the middle are made by New Ray.