What printer do you use, good points, bad points.

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by wunwinglow, Feb 11, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Like it says on the tin. Would you recommend your printer to another forum member? Good points, bad points, running costs, material types and thickness', all the things that are important to card modellers.

2. Ron

Ron Member

My first injet printer was a Lexmark and I was very impressed with it's performance but out of the blue after it had just run out of warranty it just curled it's toes up and woundn't initialise or run. Added to the fact I was writing reports for a business management package, hadn't been paid and had a stack of reports to test/debug The company I was working for used Cannons so I just scraped some loot together and sent my wife out to get the cheapest printer she could find.

The printer was a bottom of the line Cannon and it had at a rough guess ten to twenty reams of paper and card over 4 or so years through it and stills runs, albeit the feed rollers are worn and it feeds two sheets together at odd times. I went through one black and white cartridge and and two colour cartridges and my daughter still uses it now.

My wife and I bought two new Cannon printers about 4 months ago for our computers. Hers is the entry level and I bought a Cannon i320 for a bit of extra speed and resolution. Both use the same resevoirs so I'm refilling again with some 100ml bottles of bulk ink without any problems and I enjoy the more vivid new inks available, they really give a "kick" compared to the dull inks from earlier times.

I've been able with the more comprehensive Cannon printer driver to set it to manual and experiment with tweaking the colour intensities so that I have less difference between what I see on the screen and what is printed which was something my earlier driver lacked. Unfortunatly there are still "funnies" happen with a small number of RGB to CMY translations and this I feel is my burden of a cheap printer.

Some conclusions I can contribute,

1) I would love larger inktanks, My Cannon's are small and need regular filling. Maybe the top of the line have this so I'm envious.
    2) On my earlier printer I had a clear plastic side on the black and white cartridge. I would love that in all my tanks but commercial issues being what they are I suppose they want you mushroomed.
    3) It's vital you STOP IMMEDIATLY you lose a colour and refill if you have to. Cartridges and tanks are a pain to reprime. An educated topup is a prudent move.
    4) I regularly clean the cartridge path and cleaning station VERY CAREFULLY.....if you don't feel confident get someone skilled to do it. Also check the carriage bar(s) the cartridges slide back and forth on for adequate lubricant, clean off the black dirty stuff and replace it. I use a few sparing drops of my wife's sewing machine oil.
    5) If ever you use sticky labels in your printer be very careful as they can detach from the backing sheet and get stuck in the printer. Get someone qualified to get them out.
    6) I still keep my models in a large box or low lighting. I'm impressed with Epson ink ability but I think Cannon ink formulation is still supsceptable to fading over months/years in direct sunlight.

Hope it helps,

Peter H
  3. I'd love to be able to use my older Cannon with it's 11" paper feed but unfortunately Cannon did not see fit to write drivers for XP. Do I blame Evil Bill or Cannon, flip a coin. a friend at work uses the same for photos and it runs out of ink constantly. I've had two Lexmarks. The first finally had too many feed problems and plus when I ran out of ink for it at Worst Buy they had an open item 3in1 for less than the price of two new cartridges. This is where they are making their money. This thing has been a POS from day one. :x The only good part was the scanner. Lately I've been doing most of my model printing at work on HP 8500 series laser printers. The colors are unbelievable and when sealed with Krylon Clear (Matte, Satin or Gloss) are very durable with very little of the cracking and lifting some have complained about. The big problem with ink jets is certain colors such as yellow just don't come out well unless you are using photo paper.
  4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

HP 4500

I inhereted a HP colorjet 4500n. I can't decide if I should replace the transfer kit or buy a new printer. It is obsolete and no longer supported by HP.
    I just replaced the fuser at a cost that is more that most new printers. The problem is that if I replace it then I have to move it and the thing is heavy. I can't lift it by myself.
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I have a Canon i475D.

I just bought 26 refills on eBay (16 black & 10 color) with shipping they come to about $1.54 per unit. That ain't bad! SAM's has 2 black and 1
    color for $27.92.

The print out is photo quality if you use the correct paper and for modeling it does pretty good, fast too!
  6. gera

gera Member

Cannon i550.................GREAT!!!!...............
    I pay US$ 9.00 each color (3) and Black cartridge....

Photo quality all the way.........prints models just Greeeeat!!!!
  7. Darwin

Darwin Member

I have been using Epsons. My first was a nine-pin dot matrix printer. I have progressively worked up to a Photo 820. The strongest point is low ink cartridge price for refilled carts from the internet (between two and three dollars each, both black and either 3 or 5 color carts. Another plus is ability to print on thick (so far, up to 1-mm card) paper, even directly on 1/32-inch balsa sheet. Color is fine, particularly when the photo settings are used. Downside is frequent (and sometimes permanent) clogging of the jets, without a cure when a new cartridge is purchased, noisy, and weak gear trains for the print head drive. I have thrown out several printers now that would be perfectly usable except for a worn-out gear that couldn't cost more than 50 cents if you could find somewhere to purchase it. All things considered, I would not feel at all reluctant to recommend the Epson printers.

That said, I am currently clearing space for the new HP 9650 that came in the mail over the weekend. I can't wait to have a 13 inch carriage available for printing 11x17 inch pages in just one go.
  8. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i use epson r200 a jet color printer i realy realy like it and the prints are very clen and cler and i reale setesfid from it
  9. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Hi there,
    All my models are printed on EPSON STYLUS C 66, this one has DURAbright technology where the ink is water proof.
    Looks good, prints well and cost only about $100.
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well, I started on a Lexxmark all in one, cartridges were expensive, then refills wouldn't work properly, the scanner was so -so and the color translation actually after tweaking was still bad. I printed out an USNavy A4 in gull grey and I got a blue like color instead. I went to staples and tormented the kids there t let me try and print a page from the A4 and settled on the Epson 820. Like Darwinn says it is a great beast of burden, ink cartridges on the net are next to nothing, colors are true, you have to clesr coat them as the will run if you breathe heavy on them on a humid day. Cleaning the heads is a mess, one fine frisky feely day I took the beast apart, got to the heads which is a plate like affair and cleaned it out. She was good to go for anothe couple reams. I have since given the beast to the kids, and bought the new epson C84 with the newer durabrite inks. It is wonderful, the inks are brighter and as advertised durable, the heads do clog after awhile but thanks to an article here is isn't that much a chore to clean. Based on advice here also I tried to find a canon i560 out of production so I bought the newest i400. I haven't tried it yet but it has separate ink heads and a neat dual black tank system for documents and photos, I'll report on it later......
  11. Boris

Boris Member

Well, I've got HP Deskjet 920c for about 3 years. Got it for less than 100$. This is a really tough printing machine, it fell off my table and still working. The linearity is quite good, cartridges are not so expensive and are quite large (19 ml for original cartridge and 33 for non-original ) Another good thing is that it can print on paper up to 200-220 g/m2 using regular paper input (front input), and that's about all that is good in this printer.
    The bad things are that this printer isn't so good in filling big spaces with color, unless set on high quality, and that the quality of filling isn't so good, print outs look somewhat pale.
  12. dk

dk New Member

What is this mysterious place on the net that everyone talking about where you can buy cheap cartridges????
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK I ordered Monday the 27th cartridges arrived today Wednesday the 29th..............How fast is that?

But I got my deal off eBay.

26 cartridges (16 black 10 color) for $39.80 USD.
  14. mwangarch

mwangarch New Member

I'm using a Canon i550. It's a simple printer to use with great output. Canon inks are not that light stable....they tend to fade upon exposure not only to direct sunlight but general daylight. Anyone know of a more colorfast replacement ink for Canons?
  15. Darwin

Darwin Member

I get most of my ink cartridges from www.eforcity.com they have proven themselves to be reliable, and have a couple different "grades" of remanufactured cartridges. Their delivery is also prompt....when I order in the first part of the week, the carts are usually in my mailbox by the end of that week. My Epson cartrides vary from under $2 to a bit over $3 each, depending on color and grade. Still cheap enough, especially when you consider shipping is free for orders over $50. I suspect that only holds for domestic (USA) shipping.
  16. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

wow, thanks for the web site Darwin,
    I check thier prices, ubeleivable and they do ship to canada for free over 50 US.