What other kinds of structures do you want to build?

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Art Decko, Nov 5, 2006.

1. builder

builder New Member

Iwanna find and build a 1/87 scale fire station 51 from the 70's t.v. show "emergency", for a HO scale train layout.
  2. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I like cruck cottages and stuff like that for wargaming in 1/72, rural.
  3. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

A classic railway station. Think small town. With the Bay window and wood construction. Thanks John
  4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

What I would be interested in buildings in 1:25 scale for dioramas. Unfortunately they would have to be European in design and looks. If you did do some buildings in a larger scale you should also consider 1:32 and perhaps 1:48. The Plastic modelers could also use buildings in these scales and you would have a larger market.

Jim Nunn
  5. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Would a different 1/87 fire station still be cool? Or must it be this particular one, tied to this television show?
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

i would love to see Station 51, as a model, that would be one of the best childhood memories i could ever build for myself

7. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Intersting suggestion, the wargaming market seems larger than I thought.

Unfortunately, we're really angling for the North American market, where European architecture (I am not familiar with a "cruck cottage" but assume it's European) will probably have limited sales potential.

Would classic American-style rural farmhouses and barns work? That might have broader appeal beyond the limited wargaming market sector.

Thanks for your reply, and to everyone else who has taken the time to offer their ideas!
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Thanks, Jim, that's a great idea, and one our team has discussed. I think there is a significant demand for such structures -- an earlier poster, for instance, mentioned air field structures suitable for use with scale military aircraft.

I think there is great potential in that market, but in our particuliar case, we (1) want to celebrate classic American architecture, and (2) don't really want to develop any products that are directly linked to military modeling.

We're really hoping to help expand the growing borders of card modeling's appeal, and catering to the military-related market might hinder our ability to do that.

However, it is clear to me that there is a real opportunity here for a serious supplier to develop quality, realistic structures of the type you speak of, in the scales most commonly used by paper and plastic military modelers.

Hey, any other potential developers researching this market, here is your chance! :)
  9. builder

builder New Member

Well, I like fire stations of all kinds but the one that brings back the memories of why myself and so many others decided to get into the fire and emergency services would be a true treasure to build.

10. shrike

shrike Guest

There are a lot of art deco hangar and terminal buildings out there, that would be classic American (WPA) architecture, have some wonderful textures and brickwork, and while not military in nature would provide great backdrops for those of us that like the interwar years of aviation.

Lakefront Airport (Shushan Field) in New Orleans would be a good one to look at. the 1960s bomb-shelter applique was destroyed, but preserved the Deco facade underneath.
  11. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Good idea, barns and such in American themes'd probably do pretty well for your market. Barns are pretty much the same wherever you go, so they'd work with European stuff. Buildings in the any style can built in any shape size or form so I don't think anyone would notice (or care).
  12. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Lots of great ideas and feedback! We are considering a lot of factors as we make our choices for subjects, including ideas suggested here.

Thanks again!
  13. Sticks-N-Stones

Sticks-N-Stones New Member

As an American architectural model enthusiast I enjoy learning about obscure subjects in Germany and Poland but would also like to construct some structures a bit closer to home! I live in Texas and the state has recently subsidized the restoration of our County courthouses-all 254 of them! Some are simple, some unbelievably ornate. If you chose to do some you'd have 254 giftshops to sell them in right from the start (and I wouldn't have to constantly explain what paper models are to friends).

The last photo is that of a parsonage called the "Bishops Palace" in Galveston. We treat our Clergy well in Texas! Cheers, Mike.

Attached Files:

14. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

S-N-S, your comments on the Texas county courthouses is spot on. I especially like the way the old Denton and Harrison county courthouses look. Here is a site with the county courthouses listed.
    Texas County Courthouses
    The Retired Courthouses button shows those two and more. Some very ornate and unique architecture.:)
  15. Sticks-N-Stones

Great link Doug! Some of my favorites are Ellis, Victoria, and Gonzales Counties. I live in central Austin about a mile from our state capitol and often thought it would make a handsome model too!

Attached Files:

16. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Nice idea, and some handsome court houses!

I often wonder, what with the enormous variety of structures of all different uses, styles and eras, 80% of card structure modeling seems to be just castles and cathedrals. Throw in lighthouses and landmarks, and you probably reach 90%.

There are probably over 200 different quality card models of cathedrals available, but how many court houses or city halls, despite their often imposing and impressive architecture? Of course cathedrals are astonishing pieces of work, but to me the imbalance is striking.

This is exactly the void my team hopes to help fill. :)

Thanks again for the comments!
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I will definitely buy each and every one of those courthouses shown also, so you have your first customer in line already!:twisted:

18. Sticks-N-Stones

Art DecKo, it sounds like the Texas Courthouses are a good fit for your product goals. A nice benefit for the publisher is that they are all roughly the same size so they could be kept to a common scale. Also, there are a range of styles and complexities to suit all tastes and builder skill levels and since they all would have a common theme they might become collectible with "limited releases" and other techniques. With hundreds of subjects you could never run out. Most of the courthouses now house a county museum/giftshop opening a new distribution channel to Americans that have never seen a cardmodel. I discovered the hobby that way in 1998 when I saw a built model of the Notre Dame in the cathedral's very own giftshop. I couldn't believe my eyes and had to have one! I now have a bookshelf full and search the net for new ones.

Worthless trivia: Notice that each building has a tower with a clockface on each side (even Ellis if you look between the columns). Courthouse time was the "standard" for the town but because each face was a seperate mechanism the four faces never agreed. It was claimed each city had 4 independent time zones! North, south, east and west!

Here are some more cool courthouses:

Attached Files:

19. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I vote for more firehouses. If you guys need someone to help market the models, Chip of Fiddlersgreen is looking for some help to expand the FG buildings line.
  20. WonderWheeler

WonderWheeler New Member

As an architect I'm considering designing some models of the following:

I'd be interested in creating a farmhouse from central california. A dutch stle barn made of redwood, including a tankhouse with attached windmill, white clapboard victorian farmhouse with model t, hay wagon, outhouse, woodshed.

Air traffic control towers, modern and wwii period. My dad was an air traffic controller and worked in quite a few.

German built pillboxes, flack towers, atlantic wall gun emplacements etc. Maybe even the standard horsebarn design they used for POW and extermination camps :-(

Giant orange drink stands that used to be found around highway 99 in calif. A&W rootbeer stands also.

Military barracks of ameriacan WWII era, wooden warehouse buildings built durring WWII around Livermore Calif around rail sidings, Quonsett huts, semi underground ordinance storage areas similar to those near Pittsburg, Calif.