What other kinds of structures do you want to build?

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Art Decko, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I´d like to build a really detailed and beautiful model, in large scale, of the most beautiful skyscraper of them all - The Chrysler Building, in New York City.
    The ones that exist are too small with insufficient detailing and drab colours.
    I was thinking along the lines of the recently published model of the Empire State Building, by Schreiber-Bogen in Germany: http://www.schreiber-bogen.com/

That´s really 'Art Decko' for you . . .

All the best,
    Bengt :grin:
  2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Area 51, Ekuth?
  3. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

How about Stonehenge?

Blarney castle?

I'd LOVE to see a version of Gettysburg (not sure of the scale) for my dad's lead soldiers!
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi doc,

There is already a model of Stonehenge - you can get it from Sheila Mertens in Holland, if you write her a PM and ask nicely.

There are also some Irish castles and ancient Celtic settlements and round towers, for example S:t Kevins Kitchen, out there somewhere.
    Try Googling for paper models / architecture or the 'Iceberg' (Peter Visser´s) link page.

5. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I'm surprised at the range of requests, from Stonehenge to skyscrapers!

Bengt, we definitely do have some art deco in our plans, but maybe not something quite as massive as the Chrysler Building!
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Art Decko,

Well, there are masses of Art Deco buildings elsewhere in the US.

When I visited New York City, I bought a couple of old books, for example;
    "NEW YORK - The Glamour Years" by Thomas Gaylesworth & Virginia Laylesworth (Bison Books Ltd. London 1987), "Art Deco in America" by Eva Weber (Exeter Books, N. Y. A Bison Book, Bison Books Corp. 1985) and "Washington Deco - Art Deco in The Nation´s Capital" by Hans Wirz and Richard Striner (Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington D.C. 1984) - you could pick one there.

How about a nice little Art Deco Diner?

All the best,
    Bengt :roll:
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

There is also a Micromodels II model of Stonehenge. It is at www.micromodelsusa.com

For art deco, there is an Alan Rose book of Miami Beach buildings still available at some bookstores. I searched AbeBooks.com and found some examples ranging from $6 to $25 for the book, despite being rated at the relatively same condition of very good to fine.
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Hey Bengt & rmks2000 -

Yeah, there's deco all over the US - it was such a popular style, and still is! We were so lucky that it was fashionable when the country was experiencing a high level of urban construction.

In fact, it was so popular that if I want to see some art deco architecture, all I have to do is walk around town and look at it. Shanghai is loaded with deco buildings, both originals and new imitations, probably has more than most American cities. Westerners were very busy constructing here in the 20s and 30s!

Here's some (rather poor) photos online:

Thanks again, all, for the information!
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hey Art Decko,

Thanks for the interesting page - I had no idea that there were so many art deco buildings in Shanghai.
    Very beautiful buildings, too.

All the best,
    Bengt :smile:
  10. hobby-bob

hobby-bob New Member

I have two ideas, one specific and one general:

I'd love to see a card model of the National Cathedral in Washington. I am awestruck by its beauty, both inside and out. I'd heard that Landarte had a version, but the cathedral itself wasn't complete when the model was in print.

I'd generally like to see more small-scale industrial buildings that can be used as backdrops for dioramas. So far, I've had to be content with designing my own, based on plastic modes. They look good, but take a lot of time before I can actually get them onto paper.
  11. cjd

cjd Member

How about Gaudi's Barcelona cathedral (I know its a cathedral, but its such an amazing building)
    View attachment 3881

Attached Files:

12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

La Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, by Gaudí

Actually, there already IS a card model of the 'Sagrada Familia' (Holy Family) cathedral. It is sold, so I´m told, in the cathedral shop in Barcelona.
    It´s a gigantic project - the only current ongoing cathedral build of this scale anywhere in the world.
    A good friend of mine visited it a year ago and bought a copy that he´s struggling with together with his young son.

Btw, I´ve recently seen an ongoing build thread on it, either here, at Kartonmodell-Forum or at Kartonbau.de

Bengt :smile:
  13. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I'm sorry to say that we will definitely not be doing any cathedrals (or lighthouses or castles). There are already so many fine models of these kinds of structures, there seems very little marketing potential in such already-crowded categories. While making money is not our main goal, we do hope to design models that have a reasonably wide appeal.

Our current plans call for primarily modeling structure types that no one else offers, we think that will make our line more interesting ... and possibly increase it's sales potential. For example, I was very interested to hear that there are few fire stations available in scales suitable for model fire trucks (which many collect). That tells me we could probably do much better with a very nicely rendered fire house than yet another glorious cathedral. :)

All the same, I thank you all for your suggestions, they are interesting and very much appreciated! This is really a great forum! :)
  14. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Any thought to designing novel type buildings, diners, or oddities such as those found along Route 66 in the US?
  15. The-Jazzman

The-Jazzman Member

Check out out Alan Rose's Route 66 souvenirs.

16. Liamladdie

Liamladdie New Member

Would like to see some classic New England style mill buildings...the brick arched windows, two-three stories, with steam power houses or water wheels.
    Or some classic Sears or Craftsman-style houses. Or some gas stations from the 20's-30's. But there's the trademark issue...
    Greyhound bus stations from the streamline era.
  17. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Red Barns

I would like to see an old fasioned, turn of the century type red barn with white trim. You know, like something you would see on a Sunday drive through the Kentucky countryside.
  18. Liamladdie

Liamladdie New Member

As a follow-up to upthread requests...about ten years ago, Corgi marketed a couple diecut cardmodels. One is of a UK-style bus station for their 1:43/1:50 diecast buses - nicely rendered brick structure, clear-glazed skylights, heavy stock, very sturdy. And a WWII-style airfield hangar - wood-truss arched roof - for 1:72 diecast aircraft. Both were produced by Metcalfe Models in England. An e-mail inquiry to Metcalfe regarding any available old stock a few months back was not answered. Perhaps some UK members could inquire via phone to Metcalfe or Corgi and ask if any are available. Nice items!
  19. Liamladdie

Liamladdie New Member

wyvernS4 - you might try some of the several Dover-published HO-scale farms by either Edmund Gillon or A.G. Smith. The Penna Dutch farm by Gillon is quite nice.
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

La Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, by Gaudí

Hi all,

Here´s a link with a photo of two models of the 'Sagrada Familia' cathedral in Barcelona (from the newly opened Card Model Museum in Heidelberg, Germany) - one shows what the completed catherdral will look like and theother shows the present, unfinished state:

Btw, Here´s a link to the new museum: http://www.kartonmodell-museum-heidelberg.de/

Best regards,
    Bengt :grin: