What other kinds of structures do you want to build?

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Art Decko, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Hey all!

I'm new around here, and really enjoying all the great information and expertise on this forum!

Some friends and I have recently teamed up to design some card models we hope to market. We have decided to focus on architectural subjects, as we all share an interest in classic American architecture.

We already know what kinds of structures we like to build. What we’d really like to know is what kind of structures *you* would like to build. Care to tell us?

The landmarks, castles, cathedrals and lighthouse categories are already saturated with many fine models, so we are not interested in anything like that.

What other types of structures would you like to see modeled? Residential, commercial, industrial, urban, rural? Warehouses? Bowling Alleys? City halls? Sheds?

From what eras?

Any particular architectural styles?

In what scales?

Thanks so much for your opinions!
  2. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I for one, Like FireHouses. Done in 1/87 (Ho) scale would be good with all of the available miniature Fire Engines made. But larger sizes would also be nice.

But anything that has not already been done would be nice.
  3. dinsour

dinsour Member

How about a coulpe of ball dimonds or foot ball stadiums. A friend of mine built a number of them from scratch. He used pictures and personal visits to some. They were more like dioramas than models, but they were great to look at. Some of them took months to build. It sure be differant.

- - - - 73 Ron
  4. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

5. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I would love to build a model of the Golden Gate bridge:-D
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I would like to see some quality wild west buildings and also anything that might fit well on a train layout. How about some frank lloyd wright buildings?
    Thanks for asking :)
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

There are some very nice buildings that FLW has designed out there in paper

The Robie house, released by Dover Pub.
    The Gugenheim New York, released by Schrieber
    Fallingwater released by Papertoys
    Illinois, the Mile High Tower, released by Roger Currell

8. 46rob

46rob Member

Over the past few years, I've seen a lot of requests for period air field buildings. WW1, Art Deco, WW2 and modern. Many of these are too big for beneral modeling, but some of the smaller FBO and feeder lines stuff might be nice.
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Excellent Rob! Great suggestion - can I second that?
  10. The-Jazzman

The-Jazzman Member

I wanna build:
    The Pschyo House
    The Chainsaw Massacre House
    The Alamo

Just a few of the top of my head
  11. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Lots of great ideas and information, thanks!
  12. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

How about Spaceley Sprockets? Or ANYTHING from the Jetsons...
  13. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

How about a working model of a human powered crane like they used in medieval times. :-D
  14. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

Maybe just some of the more interesting features of buildings, such as the gargoyles on the Chrysler building in NY city. Also, check out the national historic building listing. Many national parks have onsite buildings of mention, such as Cades Cove in the Smokies or Rugby Tn, a very interesting settlement for second sons of England that did not inherit and could not enter business.
  15. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Haha! That would be easy, I could just model local buildings. I live in Shanghai, where half of the high-rises look like something from the Jetsons!

Attached Files:

16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

cool buildings! still really like the period airfields idea the best though :D
  17. cjd

cjd Member

Mega City1 from Judge Dredd - the hall of justice, a megablock.
    Dr Manhatten's glass building on Mars from Watchmen. Both comics if anyone didnt know. I like imaginary buildings

18. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

WOW!!! You people over in the PRC have some of THE BEST structures I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing those with us.
  19. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Actually, I am an American living in Shanghai. :)

If you like those buildings, you should definitely visit Shanghai. Over a period of 15-20 years, the city grew 4,000 high-rises (twice the number of New York City). A thousand more are on the way. Some of them are cool, some are mind-bogglingly ugly, many are just odd. For better or worse, "Jetsonian" is a term often applied to Shanghai architecture. It's one of the things that make living here so interesting!

Here are some more images of Shanghai architecture - apartment buildings, office buildings, a hotel. They are all quite typical of buildings you see everywhere here. I included examples of the cool, the odd, and the plain ugly. You can decide which is which. ;-)

Attached Files:

20. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Scale models of secret military installations... :twisted: