What old time lines operated in your state and are now gone?

Smoke

SOU is for you!!
Sep 4, 2006
www.crescentmodelworks.com
Within 25 miles of where I live now, outside of Rochester NY, there were:

Erie
B&O
Pennsy
New York Central
Lehigh Valley

Most of these I think got folded into the mergers. Today there's just CSX (with all sorts of rail maintenance problems) and a shortline that delivers corn syrup and grain to food producers.
I wish I could go back to the heyday of big steam in the 1930s or 40s.

The New York Central is still around.
img14301wy8.jpg

img14591ui4.jpg

-Smoke

Krawler

Mar 14, 2007
Hi y'all,

I just found this thread and thought I'd add my two cents.

First off I saw someone mention Western Maryland early in the thread. I want say that WM is still alive and kicking just as a scenic railroad though. My best friend is the fireman on the engine.

I would have to say the hardest thing I saw disappear was the old WM yard. As I grew up it houseed nearly a 1000 rolling stock I'd say if not more and they slowly emptied the yard and pulled up the rails. Most of the buildings were gone before I wondered into the yard my first time but it was cool and you could feel the history as I'd go threw the empty buildings. In an engine building was my greatest memory of seeing the Chessie Cat emblem on the wall. I have now moved to Washington State and my best friend says only one of the buildings are remaining I believe. I guess that would have to be mine.

Krawler

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
First off I saw someone mention Western Maryland early in the thread. I want say that WM is still alive and kicking just as a scenic railroad though. My best friend is the fireman on the engine.

Aside from using some of the same right-of-way the Western Maryland Scenic is entirely different from the old Western Maryland Railway.

nhguy

May 14, 2003
Sugar City,Colorado
rides.webshots.com
In Colorado-AT&SF, Burlington (CB&Q) Rock Island, D&RGW, Denver & Western, Denver and Rio Grande, Rio Grande Southern, The Midland RR, Missouri Pacific, Denver, Salt Lake & Pacific, many other narrow gauge railroads.

In Connecticut- New Haven RR, Central Vermont, Connecticut Valley RR, Central New England, New York and New Haven RR, Hartford and New Haven RR, Connecticut Central just to name a few.