what o scale track do you like best?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jun 8, 2007.

what o gauge track do you like best

1. 027 tube

2. fast track

3. gargraves

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

make the HO a dog bone, then you can run continuously,

or if you have the O-scale drop under the HO, then put a 3rd level up, one above the HO.. then put an helix at each end for HO.

if the O drops under the HO then you can also run the HO off the end of the HO layout and drop the HO under the O scale . to take the HO all around the rest of the room kinda hidden. that way if you have a double mainline in HO one line the train will alway go across the ho layout from left to right, and the other line from right to left. so you never see the same train go across the layout in both directions, make it so that when the HO leaves the layout that its going to an imagery far off place, and it can come back on from the other side from an imagery place.
  2. brakie

brakie Active Member

To my mind Gargraves makes the best looking 3 rail track.Of course the Atlas 3 rail track doesn't look that bad either.

Not bad a "wee scaler "huh?
  3. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

I agree with you about Gargraves for 3-rail track. I think it also looks good for S gauge hi-rail.

However, since I started with 2-rail American Flyer trains as a kid before moving on to HO, that 3rd rail, no matter how manufacturers try to disguise it, still bothers me. That's why I've chosen 2-rail O scale. But de gustibus non est disputandum.

(Personally, I think the American education system started going downhill when they stopped requiring kids to learn at least some Latin.)
  4. Geno

Geno Member

Same here- that's why I'm using stud rail.

5. riverotter

That does look pretty good. How does it perform when you ballast the track (enough to disguise, but not bury, the studs?)
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

WHAT!?! your a 2 rail O scaler? if id of known that i would not of helped ya...

but i think o-scale looks goofy without the 3rd rail.....lol but i started with 3. and less wiring with 3.
  7. Geno

Geno Member

I will let you know when I get that far- so far all I've done is mock up an oval of studrail with the cork roadbed temporarily glued down and the studrail in place. It works, but some 3-rail equipment has flanges that are too tall for the code 148 track (need to replace wheelsets).
    You can hear the slider shoe contacting the studrail a little when the sound is off, but it isn't even noticeable once you have the engine sounds on.

I don't think the ballast will interfere with the slider shoes picking up current from the studrail, provided it's low and level enough.

8. riverotter

Actually, none of the above is O scale track...

I model in O scale 2-rail and I use Atlas track - not perfect by a long shot.

EDIT: lest I sound too 'curmudgeony' or 'holier-than-thou' above, please let me note that today I picked up a copy of "O Gauge Railroading" and I'm really enjoying it!
  9. I chose GarGraves simply because everyone tells me that is the best (including my LHS, which has a large O-scale layout in the back room so they can sell Lionel stuff sign1).
  10. Geno

Geno Member

I actually used to use Gargraves on my temporary floor layouts- it's very smooth running track, as well as being priced below Atlas and Lionel. The wood ties, despite being oversized, still give this track system a realistic appearance for 3-rail track. I still have quite a bit of it stored away- no idea what I'm going to do with it.

11. DJTrains

DJTrains New Member

I like em all cause I'm new to the hobby and have no idea what I'm doing yet. :thumb: