what o scale track do you like best?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jun 8, 2007.

what o gauge track do you like best

1. 027 tube

2. fast track

3. gargraves

1. Geno

Geno Member

I have just about every major brand of O gauge 3-rail track, and after running my trains on them to evaluate quietness, appearance and reliability, and decided to take a different route- I chose Atlas 2-rail track with a stud rail down the center.

All of the 3-rail track systems basically work well, but they all fall flat in one category- appearance. No matter how much you weather the trains and rails, detail the scenery and backdrops, the oversized rails as well as the obvious center rail detract from any attempt to model a realistic scene.

Of course, not everyone considers scale appearance a priority- some are satisfied with the somewhat more realistic appearance of Gargraves or Atlas 3-rail track, and most are content to run on traditional tinplate track. But there is a small minority looking for the most realistic 3-rail track system, and IMO that is achieved with Altas 2-rail track and a center stud rail, which can easily be concealed with ballast.

The big difference with the Atlas stud rail system is the look- it's the closest thing to real track, but I'm still able to run 3-rail trains on it.

2. Brutus

Brutus Member

My first O gauge layout was all O27. I bought a bunch of O including some 022 switches for a new layout, but now I think I'm going to go with GG instead. John Seaman convinced me to go check it out and I bought 6 pieces of flex, enough to make a nice loop for the Hogwarts Express. The Ross switches are really great looking and have a terrific reputation, so that too is predisposing me to go with GG I think.
  3. csxt30

csxt30 Member

I voted for Gargraves & told Brutus about it !! I also had a lot of tubular on the lower level of my last layout & Gragraves on the upper level. Now I just have the upper level with GG & I still like it !!
    Thanks, John
  4. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

I have Gargraves, I find the flexibility essential, the ross switches are great, and then the benefit of the aesthetics. However, have both fastrack, and tubular 027 under the tree. So whatever works for you is right!
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Well I'm toying with a small switching layout with my Scaletrax from MTH. I have a box of O27 tubular track and need to locate it. Being I live in a dry enviorement, it should be ok but I like the look of the Scaletrax. :D

6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

is the scaletrack worth switching to from fasttrack? i have been looking at it in the mth books, but id hate to start over and replace all the track again.
  7. Frank53

Frank53 Member

Traditional O-Gauge tubular is the most widely-used, time-proven and venerable track system of all time . . .
  8. cnw1995

cnw1995 Member

Well, I voted for 027 - which is what I started with in my first train set - and stayed with - there is some gorgeous other track out there but I like 'widely-used, time-proven, and venerable' - just like me. ;)
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i have 150 , maybe 200 feet of 027 track in box's. i dont ever plan on using that junk again. track would not stay together, wear out to easy, trains never stay on the track. every switch i ever bought was junk and derailed trains.

thats what i like about fast track, it dont work loose , switches are great, have not had a derail yet.

i just dont like the looks of it, and its kinda loud.
  10. Geno

Geno Member

I can't argue about the downside of tubular 027, but if you get newer track, wider 072 and 054 curves, and K-Line 042 switches (Low-profile motors), it works pretty good. I'm using 027 for my temporary setup and it does the job. I just tighten up the loose track ends with some needle-nose pliers.

I can see why you like fastrack- I used it on the layout I just built for my nieces, and it's very smooth running track. But one of the main reasons I also used it was because their PE set already had a loop, and I'm sure 'the customers' would have asked me why I didn't use the same track as the one in their train set.

I have to admit to also liking GG, and if you're looking for a cost effective track system it's probably the best way to go.

11. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i cant run the 072 curves, no room, heck i dont have any room at the moment. just the living room floor, thats why i got all the fast track now. but im working on a portable layout using 36" wide hollow core doors. to take to train shows and set up. so im going to try to use some bigger curves on it.

we use GG at the club layout, i do like the looks of it, but its not the cheapest to buy.
  12. Geno

Geno Member

I use 054/072 curves because I run scale 3-rail, which isn't too happy on 042 or tighter curves. The 027 track will go away when I move the layout down to the garage, and that's when I'll use Atlas 2-rail with a studrail down the center.

If you're using Fastrack on hollow core doors, I'd suggest that you glue down a layer of 1/2" homasote or Soundboard on top for noise suppression. You'll find that either does a good job. The 1/2" soundboard I put on my nieces' layout is a brownish color, so it also looks like ground- a good start for the scenery.

13. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

Ozzy, I use a 36" door for my Christmas layout with Marx O-34 curves for the outer loop and O-27 for the inner loop. The Marx track shows up on Ebay all the time. Occasionally, you can also find the O-34 turnouts.

I do like Fastrack and have used it before, but the O-36 minimum curves are a limiting factor for me. That's why I still use tubular track, primarily.
  14. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Geno I run all scale including the large 100 ton grain hoppers on 42 and 36. Now granted I have to use Scale D 9's but it can be done. The 100 ton rolling stock doesn't look bad at all on the 42, however I have always used a straight in between the curves.

I also run Scale RS 11's one powered and one non-powered on 36 and it looks right at home.The new Lionel PRR RS-11's are large , detailed and the best version on the market.
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

fast track has curves up to 084 i think .
  16. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i just ordered some mth scake auto carriers that are 20" long, they say will run on 031, im hopping they will run on 036 or 042
  17. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

Actually, I meant to say you cannot get Fastrack smaller than O-36.

Fastrack will not fit on a 36" door without overhang. I wish Lionel would produce O-31 Fastrack, but apparently that's not in the works.
  18. Geno

Geno Member

The the technique of using straights to break up tight curves is a good one- I 'm doing the same thing with the 054/072 curves I use on my temp layout. It really helps those 18" cars negotiate those curves alot more gracefully.

The shorter cars like 100T hoppers, 50' boxcars, and diesels like GP's and RS's actually don't look too bad on 042 curves. It really depends on what works for you- and it's your layout.

I have the same MTH 6-car Canada 100T hopper set you have (nice), as well as another 6 copies of the first-release Canada 100T hopper, and 50 or so different types and roads of hoppers. Do I need more?(probably not), but it does make for a nice long grain train.

19. Geno

Geno Member

The MTH Premier Autorack is actually a 75' semi-scale version of the 89' Corrugated Autorack- if it were actually true scale, the body would measure about 22.25". As a hardcore 3RS addict, I anguished over this for awhile, but the car doesn't look that bad for a shortie, so I got over it and moved on :).

I have about 20+ of these, and when coupled together along with the (5) Atlas Articulated Autracks in my roster, they make for a very impressive consist.

The premier Autoracks will run on 036/042/048 curves, but don't expect to be able to run these at speed- they have a high center of gravity and will tip over, especially on the tight curves.

20. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

I'm a 2-Railer

O scale, but I need to keep things simple, so I use Atlas sectional curved track, and flextrack for the straights. Works for me -- reliable, quick, and stable.