What means "Rivet hot"?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Lemures, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Lemures

Lemures New Member

Hi, im making a model of Italeri Sturmgeschutz IV. In instruction i read, that some of the parts have to be riveted hot, but i dont know how to do it. I have no special tools fo it.
  2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

That is a mistery to me. Could they have been talking about the actual construction rather that the cardmodel instructions?
  3. Lemures

Lemures New Member

I think i should make that part hot, for example with canlde and than put that part there, the part will stick together without glue, only with help of warm.
  4. modelincard

modelincard Member

For clarification, is this model paper or plastic?
  5. Brian_Va

Brian_Va New Member

Plastic for sure. I've built Italeri panzers in the past. Hot blade the sprue/stud nothing special.
  6. hpept

hpept Member

Brian won the prize.:grin:
    Yes, you have to heat the blade of a screwdriver, and then, with major care, melt the plastic rivet until it forms a mushroom head. Remove quickly the blade and let it cool down, making sure that the parts you've joined are able to pivot neither too thight, nor too loose.
  7. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I built a 1:9 Revell model of a Ducati motor cycle and you have to hot rivet all each individual link in the chain:mad: the finished result would have looked great if I wasn't 13 at the time although messy it did function as a chain. The links were about 2mm long!!!!
  8. Brian_Va

Brian_Va New Member

I won something? (looking around)

I reckon this calls for some pics of my tanks.