What Loco to get with Sound?

myhotrs

Dec 27, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Hi, I am new and just setting up. I want a HO steam loco with sound and dont feel like dropping 300+ on a BLI right now. Who else makes steam locos with sound? I am not running DCC, so will the sounds still work? Also, if anyone is getting rid of any mint condition locos with sound, let me know. Also, BLI is releasing a Mikado for under $200 (online) anyone know if its good/avg/bad?
Thanks a lot, I'm very excited about getting started!
Greg

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
you will not find Sound equipped stuff to any less than $275. if you want sound you are stuck with expensive stuff, they haven't made cheap sound stuff yet.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
yeah i hate ebay, though. Deals always dissappear at the very end. everytime i bid on something, i end up pushing it over the top dollar price and still loose, lol. people seem to be willing to shell out any amount of money. and there is no garuntee it works. You couls spend forever on ebay bidding on things.

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Well, if you want cheap sound, as it's already been stated, there aren't many options.

Personally, I received a Bachmann 2-8-0 as a gift, and then purchased the Soundtraxx Decoder/Sound System (all-in-one) and placed it in the tender with little modification. The engine works great, and the sound is definately a neat effect. The advantage is that the decoder/sound is plug and play, making it all the more convienient.

I dunno, though, if Soundtraxx will work on DC. I have not tried it. I would automatically assue you couldn't utilize the whistle or bell, because those require function buttons found on DCC systems.

If you're interested, the Soundtraxx decoder for the 2-8-0 cost about $100, and the 2-8-0 will run you about $100-150, depending on where you find it.

Ebay is okay, I've gotten a lot of good deals on there. (That's where 3/4 of my locos and rolling stock has come from...) Just make sure you know what you're looking for and what you're bidding on, and you'll be fine.

Good luck. You'll love the sound once you get it, I'm sure of it! :thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
You could use the bell and whistle, but the trick is to move the direction swithc back and forth the right way. Atleast thats how it is on my lionel challenger. you have to stop the locomotive so that its in neutral ( but not off) then change the direction switch between 2 noises ( i forgot what they were, one sounds like a door closeing, the other is a hiss. i'm not to familiar with steam) and it will change direction without the whistle or bell going.

BLI locomotives work similarly, but they use QSI along with the Challenger. I would imagein Sound traxx would work though.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
My Boss picked up a BLI light Mike off ebay for 150.00 (Can) I don't know if you could buy the same loco for the same price again but it does show that if you have enough pateince good deals do show up.
The BLI mike is amazing, he gave it to me to re-letter the tender (originaly a pensy engine, I reletered it for Canadian Pacific) The sound is really good too, idling sounds when the throttle is cracked to 20% and the engine isn't moving, bell and whistle are controled by the direction switch as noted above.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The Soundtrax drop in decoder for the 2-8-0 won't work on DC. The new Tsunami does, and is available for $80.00, you need to solder it in tho. The BLI Mike might be your best bet, make sure the one you buy has sound, I think they are available without sound now.

Nice to see another Atlas Shrugged fan. Here is a photo of JGL # 588

Gary

Attachments

• P1010180jpg.jpg
    P1010180jpg.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 39

myhotrs

Dec 27, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Thats really cool, I hadnt thought of doing that, wish I had. I assume you have a bridge made from Rearden Steel? I found a Proto 2k 0-8-0 with sound on Ebay for not too much. Anyone here know if its a good choice?
Thanks!

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
As a matter of fact, yes. I'm in the process of working on a scene which includes the first ever Rearden Metal bridge, only a mile or so from the Rearden plant (I've moved the JGL from Colorado to NJ) Not a chasm spanning bridge, just an extra long girder. Seems a 100' girder is no problem for Rearden metal. I tried a bunch of colors striving to obtain a "blue green" metal, settled on this as others just were too odd.

Regading the LL 0-8-0, I have one from the first run, it is excellent. A really fine running loco. I installed Soundtrax in mine, they now come with QSI installed, right? I can't say how the QSI equipped loco runs but ought to be fine. Good luck with it, hope it stays reasonable in those last few minutes!

Gary

Attachments

• P1010697a.jpg
    P1010697a.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 39