What kinds of models would you like to see designed?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by cgutzmer, Sep 1, 2008.

What would you like to see designed

1. Military general (please specify)

46 vote(s)
  2. Civilian general (please specify)

25 vote(s)
  3. Sci-Fi

134 vote(s)
  4. Real Space

35 vote(s)
  5. Cars

29 vote(s)
  6. Tanks

34 vote(s)
  7. Planes - Civil

32 vote(s)
  8. Planes WWI

28 vote(s)
  9. Planes WWII

38 vote(s)
  10. Planes Post WWII

44 vote(s)
  11. Animals

11 vote(s)
  12. Other (please specify)

64 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjblundell

tjblundell Member

2. Jan Kytop

Jan Kytop Member

Yes and in 1/700 scale to match the curell's beautiful models
  3. David H

David H Member

Trains! Me too!

4. Specter84

Specter84 New Member

With the (global) economy in shambles as it is, mine is another vote for buildings for railroad layouts. Just common, everyday buildings, but with decent, non-cheesy graphics. I know there are other much better magazines out there, but I have noticed a SEVERE drop in the number of scratchbuilding articles in MRR over the past 20 years. There are a couple of good designers out there like clevermodels and even the New England village from FG isn't TOO cheesy, but we need more.

Large industries for N-scalers (steel mills, auto plants, etc)
    US Old West buildings for S-scalers (Are S scale models available in anything BUT US Western prototypes from 1880-1920? ;-) )
    All scales : normal buildings, from homes to skyscrapers.

Model railroading has been taken over by the rivet-counters, but there are a lot of armchair modelers who are dying to build a reasonably-priced layout.

I also second the post by Jim Krauzlis : container ships. I would love to have one on my N-scale layout. Too big? Not a problem. Just build half of it, and set it against the backdrop.

SCOUSE New Member

1:18 scale comanche that i could fit a Trex 450 rc heli into :D
  6. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Me, too! Like maybe, I don't know, how about a mechanical steam-powered giraffe? Now that would be one cool model! ;)[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha! Yeah, okay. I'll post some progress on the giraffe this week....promise...

Seriously though, one of the BIG things that attracted me to paper models was the absolutely amazing VARIETY of model subject matter! I'd begun to lose interest in plastic models because the selection was pretty much always the same... shiny cars and military machinery.

Now, I LIKE shiny cars and military machinery, they're great. But I can delve into my paper model collection and pull out... well... just about anything you can imagine. Someone's designed a model for it. I even have a model of a banana!

And yes, I've got lots of shiny cars and amazingly intricate military models too.

somehow.. must... build them... all...

7. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

PLEASE do not make the steampunk giraffe available! I would absolutely be forced to push aside all of my other projects and build that one!
  8. asroc

asroc New Member

Hey everyone, I've been looking at models that haven't been made around the net and at shops and while at a christmas parade my neice pointed out the OSCAR MEYER WIENERMOBILE and then i thought no ones made that or any of the weird vehicles. Then i thought copyrights but that never stoped anyone before. any takers on the idea???????
  9. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

A very cool vehicle, but wow, it's composed almost entirely of compound curves ... I think it would be very challenging to model it well in cardstock. :(
  10. asroc

asroc New Member

I think so too Sir Art, I was also looking at the HERSHEYS KISSMOBILE and it looks like the curve issue is with that also. I feel if the idea stays afloat someone is bound to make a beta or kit of it.:mrgreen::mrgreen:
  11. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I didn't know there was a Hershey Kissmobile!

Are there any other "gimmick-mobiles" that have fewer compound curves? Is there a Can-of-Coke-mobile? Does Land-O-Lakes maybe have a wedge-o-cheese-mobile?
  12. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

I still want a 1:100 VAB to go with my shuttles and Ares 1-x Im working on. Also in keeping with the railroad motif mentioned above how about the special railcars they use to transport shuttle booster segments to and from Utah ? That would be kinda different and interesting.
    I have given the VAB a half hearted look, maybe after New Years.
    The Curtis Sparrowhawk fighter planes that went with the Akron and Macon airships would make a great model. I am no good at doing the markings and such, however. Anybody interested in a collaboration ?
    The new Ares rocket is going to get a new mobil launcher platform, that will make an interesting model. Just throwing out some ideas here, one might take root !
  13. THE DC

THE DC Member

Agree with aphelion16

Yes, the Sparrowhawks would be cool...What about a Macon, Akron, or even Shenandoah large enough for a mini Sparrowhawk for a trapeze? Now there's a Christmas wish!

I don't know what the scale would be, but my wife would hate it!

The DC
  14. lancer525

lancer525 Member

I'd like to have a model of the SS Norway, about 1/350 or so.

That would be cool, since I was booked to sail on her about a month after she had the boiler explosion...
  15. OK OK this thread has been around for a while now and all I see is and endless line of requests. That is all good and fine, I have my own listed but when does it end? When will a decision be made as to what is next? Or will we ever hear what is next. Is there a prize for the guy (gal) who made the suggestion that wins? A free model or something? Let's hear from whoever started this. I forgot already. I could go back to the beginning but then I am trying to make a point.
  16. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i beleive the purpose of the thread is to get an idea of what people would like.(generally) not a this is what will be made now thread.
  17. HO King

HO King Member

I voted for real space .Space stations ,rockets , space ships , gentres ,launch pads .
    A lot of detail . That is so kool.
  18. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Here's something I came across the other day that I thought would make a good card model subject - the first streamlined car, the 1921 Trompfenwagen ( = "drop car", for the drop-like shape), from the WWI aircraft designer Edmund Rumpler.

The Trompfenwagen was unusual in many ways. The driver sat in the center, at the very front of the vehicle. The engine was mounted in the middle of the car. Some were fitted with standard fenders, but some had futuristic horizontal winglets instead. The headlights were also aligned centrally. But especially, there was the revolutionary teardrop shape. In the 1980s, Volkswagen engineers tested one of the two surviving specimens in a wind tunnel, it had an amazingly low drag co-efficient, even by contemporary standards.

Besides the advanced aerodynamic styling, the Trompfenwagen has another claim to fame - they were used in the futuristic Fritz Lang film "Metropolis".

The Trompfenwagen was not a big commercial success - I think the highly unconventional styling was one issue. Consequently, only 80 to 100 were built. Many of them ended up as taxis -- they had a spacious passenger compartment.

I think this could be a very cool card model. Even though it's streamlined, it looks like there are few compound curves. Also, unlike many 1920s vehicles, it was available with solid wheels (much easier to model than spoked). There is a basic plan available on the web.

Interestingly, I found a JPG of an old French paper model of this wonderful car. Using modern design tools, I think this could make for a striking model. Perhaps glossy photo paper could be used for the main body parts.

Below are some JPGs from various locations on the web, hopefully someone will be inspired ... :)

Attached Files:

19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Hey that's a great idea for a card model. Very ahead of it's time.
  20. zakopious

zakopious Member

Messerschmitt Bf 110

At the present time I am looking for a model of a Messerschmitt Bf 110 in 1/144 scale.
    If the model were 1/150 to 1/72 scale, I could probably resize it.

Ken Moore
    Sheffield Lake, OH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.