What Kinda Paint???

I'm getting ready to assemble some plastic buildings, (Both spectrum and cornerstone) and I would like to paint the panels befor gluing them up, my question is what kind of paint should I use, ie. latex brush on, or alkyde spray cans or ?? I would prefer to use a spray can if possible, has anyone used this method with success? Also I seem to remember reading a thread at one time about a substance for removing gloss from painted surfaces, but can't remember the name of the product, can anyone be of assistance here? Tnanx in advance :confused:

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Duey, If you are going to brush paint the building use Polly Scale paint. It dries in just a few minutes and doesn't leave hardly any brush marks.

If you want to use a spray can(s) use Testor's Model Master. Choose your colors from the Military Colors. These are very high quality spray paints.

To add a flat finish to either of the above use Testors Model Master Dullcote. It comes in a spray can.

Both of the above paints are semi-flat anyway and you may not have to flatten them further. See how they look after you have applied them.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
ps42, I spray paint EVERYTHING. I use the paint you can buy at the local hardware or auto supply. Just make sure they are primers (dries flat and in minutes). These are about half the cost of model paints cause the can is 4 times the size. If you need a color that can't be had in a primer no problem, after you paint (with the non-primer) apply a couple of coats of dullcote and you should be O.K.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Tyson, That'll work good too....done that before and the primers do make a nice finish. I guess I got wrapped up in trying to get my commison from Floquil and Testors:eek: :D :D :D

BTW....Nurse Meanie...the head nurse here at "The Asylum"... took my Xacto knife away from me this morning...but I got 4 more hid under the mattress:eek: :D :D :D :D

Thanx both Vic and Tyson for the great advise, I'm off to the store to get my supplies, I had promised the misses that I wouldn't start assembly of the structures till fall when I won't have to devote so much time to the yard, but I can have all the supplies ready to go anyway right?? Oh boy, this part I'm really looking forward to with much anticipation and intrepidness...Take care all
:) :) :) :) :)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Not much to do with railroads but last summer I helped a friend paint the inside of his swiming pool with an epoxy based paint. Before we were half way through we were both so "woozie" from the fumes that we could hardly climb out of the pool (much less drink a cold beer) and that was outdoors with the wind blowing. To finish the job we had to put two box fans in the pool with us. Even the particulate from water based paints can be dangerous if you inhale them.

Point is only use spray paint, cans or an airbrush in a well ventilated area. Stay safe my friends!!!:) ;)