What kind of cutting boards do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Mauiman, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Mauiman

Mauiman Member

Read the topic. I only have a kitchen table at my disposial and I have eaten through newspaper and have always feared that I would be cutting right down to the table and I don't really want to do that.

So what do you guys use as a cutting board for the fine parts of the model?
  2. Mauiman

Mauiman Member

3. Padre

Padre Guest

Yep, thats it. You can pick them up at any office supply or art store, Target, Walmart, etc.
  4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I use a Fiskars self-healing cutting mat. It's supposed to be for cutting fabric with a rotary cutter, but it's perfect for card modeling with an X-acto knife. For the 12 inch by 18 inch size it's only about $10 and lasts just about forever.
  5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yep, I use the Fiskars 12 x 18 cutting mat. A sticker on the back says "Use with Rotary Cutters and Hobby Knives. Durable, Self-Healing Suface"
    You can find them for a low price at various stores.

Fiskars 12 x 18 Cutting Mat (The one pictured is actually a bigger mat that folds, but it gives you a general idea of what to look for.)
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

With scissors, I never needed a cutting mat... :D

Superglue never comes off your cutting board.
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I use a mica table-top I picked up at "Hood's" for 99c.
  9. imcold

imcold Member

I just use a thick piece of cardboard.
  10. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Get some of this stuff. It gets Superglue (CA) off of your board, your hands, etc.

Attached Files:

11. Mauiman

Mauiman Member

If only I knew about that solvent stuff. I would have had my hands saved from the monstrasoties of sore fingers. And every one who has contributed I do thank you all.
  12. leon

leon Member

I use a piece of glass from an old picture frame. Just make sure your card does not slide when you are cutting.
  13. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter New Member

I have only been doing this a few weeks now but have just been using an old piece of wood. It's processed wood so it's soft and doesn't seem to harm my knife blade very much.